Parks, playgrounds, green spaces

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
jackie rokotnitz Wednesday 10 February 2010 8.00am
Interesting item on BBC News this am. about developers who have been stymied by the credit crunch from continuing building, but who have turned their sites into green spaces, parks, football grounds etc. Why not our empty Oakmayne site which WAS a playground (and not one like the horrible St. Mary's concrete horror) and has been sitting idle for nearly three years.
Jan the old one Wednesday 10 February 2010 8.32am
Brilliant idea Jackie, we can never have too many green areas..
chalkey Wednesday 10 February 2010 10.18am
I had a pleasant surprise when I paid a visit to the site of my first home laast summer. I knew the old tenement where I lived had been demolished back in the 1979's, which was when I last paid a visit and the area then was just a pile of rubble. I assumed that a block of high-rise flats would appear there one day. As I walked down Briganza Street from Kennington tube station I could see that it had all been grassed over and a nice walkway created.
With Kennington Park being in such close proximity I didn't think they would create another green and pleasant place. In sad contrast, when I walked round in to Manor Place, the rows of shops either side, (which numbered about fifteen and used to do a roaring trade in that thriving little community when I was a kid,) were all derelict and awaiting demolition.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions