London cycle rental at Bricklayers Arms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 10 February 2010 8.37pm
Passed by this morning and they're putting down what looks like a cycle rental rack.

Anyone know more about this?

I saw they have a few in Dublin when I was back there recently. Popular there.
Wednesday 10 February 2010 10.36pm
It could be to do with Boris's cycling initiative scheme. He wants a few thousand more cyclists on London streets. Not sure if it's the greatest idea really. I'm a seasoned cyclist, and so do the whole aggressive, 'taking the lane' style of cycling, yet have very nearly been mown down three time by TFL buses since moving into SE1 about 6 months back. Tower Bridge Road, Tower Bridge and London Bridge are particularly dangerous. I love cycling, and would love to see more people doing it, but I'm seriously concerned about getting more people on bikes in London. It's far too dangerous, especially when you consider that the users of these rented bikes are going to be 'recreational' cyclists. London's roads aren't cyclist friendly. Well intentioned plans, but possibly irresponsible.
Thursday 11 February 2010 10.10am
Hi JohnBoy49

You might want to see these other threads for further locations/views on the scheme:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/113170
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/117539
Thursday 11 February 2010 10.25am
Mutton wrote:
It's far too dangerous, especially when you consider that the users of these rented bikes are going to be 'recreational' cyclists. London's roads aren't cyclist friendly. Well intentioned plans, but possibly irresponsible.

I completely agree - I've been cycling since 2006 and I'm also a bit of a 'taking the lane' cyclist (I'm assertive and very used to judging which drivers are probably going to do idiotic things that will endanger me (like overtaking me and then immediately turning left for a start)) and I think that I still have probably around two experiences per week where I go - 'Sheesh, that was a bit close...'

The idea of uneducated, slow, wobbly cyclists newly taking to the road in zone 1 scares the **** out of me.

And that's not even considering all the lack of bike etiquette (as I call it) that'll be evident (pavement riding/ pedestrian crossing jumping/ undertaking etc) to make people hate cyclists even more!

Sigh...
Thursday 11 February 2010 3.36pm
On the other hand of course it could be a really great way to get more of a critical mass of all types of cyclists on the roads, which will make vehicles more accustomed to sharing the road with them. This could help remove people's fear of the road and reduce that as a source of pavement cycling.

It should also give a much wider pool of people the option of trying cycling and learning how to ride - perhaps even without wobbling - in traffic. It may even give drivers a really convenient way of being able to leave the car at home when not carrying lots of stuff.

Who knows, deciding to cycle for a specific journey may even become a function of common sense and convenience that is perceived as being open to all rather than an all encompassing lifestyle choice!
Thursday 11 February 2010 9.54pm
You know what? You're right. At least in the long term. For now, just keep you eye on the casualty figures.
Zoe
Thursday 11 February 2010 10.35pm
Was there an increase in accidents in Paris when it was introduced? Having driven there people seemed just the same as London drivers, so it seems comparable. I've noticed that having cyclists around slows down lots of drivers, so there's the possibility lots more cyclists will have a very positive effect. Either way people have the right to cycle and we should encourage those who want to be part of making London better.

I also don't think there's any evidence new cyclists are more likely to break the law, but let's set a good example. I've realised that when I stop at red lights people behind me stop, but if I'm towards the back of a group I'll see people ahead jumping the lights. Clearly moral pressure is effective, I wonder if there are other uses for my super power, lol.
Tuesday 23 February 2010 3.33pm
Every time I've passed the Bricklayers Arms recently, I've been looking for signs of the bike rack - still haven't managed to spot it in the centre or close to the flyover.

Whereabouts did you see this?
Tuesday 23 February 2010 6.36pm
Last week they were putting in place a docking station at the end of Harper Road at the juntion of New Kent Road at it looked almost complete.
I've come along this evening and it's disappeared, not a trace of the works ever being done. Did someone dig the holes in the wrong place and hurridly move further down the road to the Bricklayers Arms? Or was I imagining it all?
Tuesday 23 February 2010 8.22pm
Emmesse wrote:
Every time I've passed the Bricklayers Arms recently, I've been looking for signs of the bike rack - still haven't managed to spot it in the centre or close to the flyover.
Whereabouts did you see this?

The cycle rent scheme at Bricklayers will be here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=se1+4tl&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=London+SE1+4TL,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.495075,-0.085788&spn=0.000446,0.001206&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.494969,-0.086014&panoid=ThhatvS-GoOyO3axr_geSQ&cbp=12,14.08,,0,10.91
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network