Elephant & Castle leisure centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 12 February 2010 12.23pm
Have just read the SE1 news page (http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4348).

I thought there was a swimming pool (albeit it was closed) already in the leisure centre. I can certainly remember swimming there as a kid although it was quite dark and dirty. Why and when was the pool closed?
Friday 12 February 2010 1.48pm
Paragraph 4 - "The swimming pool has been out of use for many years".
Friday 12 February 2010 2.05pm
thanks, Phil, must've missed that bit. But why was it closed in the first place?
Saturday 13 February 2010 11.50am
What I don't get is how can a roof cost 1million or even a new building 15million? Someone is making some serious money somewhere. I suppose because the council (us) are paying the figures can be as mad as they like!

If after the war buildings took as long as they do now to put up then we would still have bomb sites everywhere.
The buildings now are not even as solid (or soundproof) as the old 40's/50's ones.

Or am I totally out of touch?
Monday 15 February 2010 8.19am
I remember going there when my youngest daughter was small, when it initially closed we were told it was because of a rat infestation, then that the roof was likely to cave in on swimmers! cant remember when it was closed, thought the wave machine was positively dangerous as the intake had no real guards to prevent children being sucked and held in...
Monday 15 February 2010 9.35am
Hi Jan, I can remember the wave machine now and the little slide they had - I think it might've been like an Elephant.
Monday 15 February 2010 10.35am
I remember when they originally announced they were building the leisure centre and closing
Manor place baths down we were promised an olympic sized pool etc to replace the 3 at Manor place that were shut and we got a little pool that was badly built and always closing. I heard the roof was too dangerous as well but if that was the case why is the centre still open? (and the wave machine was always broken)

We need a pool as the local kids get such limited time now to learn to swim (in my sons case it was 1 term at Darwin Court).
Monday 15 February 2010 10.37am
I vaguely remember from the early 90s stories of cockroaches in the changing rooms - they'd get into lockers and thus into people's handbags etc.
Monday 15 February 2010 12.23pm
The usual old b*llocks - pay loads of money for new buildings that the councils' mates build and that then are not 'fit for purpose'.

What is so difficult about building a swimming pool I wonder.
Monday 15 February 2010 12.37pm
Sue-Borough wrote:
What is so difficult about building a swimming pool I wonder.

Exactly. I read recently that Manor Place didn't close until the late 70s (let's assume 1979!) which means the pool at the Elephant was open for less than 15 years in total.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: