Laithwaites @ Vinopolis

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 13 February 2010 3.35pm
Just a quick message for those who dont know, to say that a Laithwaites has been open in the old Majestic wine space at Vinopolis. Not over crowded with wines inside, which is great. I believe the official opening is next week.

A very knowledgeable group of staff which is excellent. I hope it doesnt take too much trade away from Waterloo Wine, however.

A positive addition to the area!

Related news & features

Saturday 13 February 2010 11.28pm
Oh, that is useful! I had to give up shopping at Laithwaites when I moved into a block with no easy place to leave parcels when I'm out. I only became aware recently that they had retail outlets, but haven't lived within striking distance of one until now.
Saturday 13 February 2010 11.46pm
Glad about this. I went to get some wine when it was 'between stores' and the staff at the museum entrance told me majestic had gone and there wasn't going to be a wine shop there again.
Sunday 14 February 2010 8.20pm
How do Laithwates compare to Majestic? I've never used them but was a regular at Majestic. I always preferred them to e.g. Thresher and Oddbins both in terms of price and quality. I've only been to Waterloo wines twice I have to admit...
Monday 15 February 2010 9.03am
Laithwaites stock some excellent wines, a much smaller amount than Majestic, but they are a good quality.

They are an independent wine importer more than a shop based retailer.

Waterloo wines is more fun to go to, however!
Monday 15 February 2010 9.10am
Details of the opening event on Friday:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/8581

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 15 February 2010 11.37am
We had a gift of a dozen Laithwaite wines at Christmas for which I held out little hope but divvied them out to the team and we were all pleasantly surprised.
I shall pop along and check it out.
I will also check out Waterloo Wines as I ahve never come across it.
Monday 15 February 2010 1.03pm
I found Laithwaites at Vinopolis to be a bit lacklustre.

Went in there in the middle of last week (when they were "softly open" to quote the mgr). They've done a very nice job with lighting the space, but to my eyes the range is nothing at all special, and the presentation of the stock is unexceptional.

For me, Majestic did a few wine regions in depth, whereas Laithwaites appeared to be trying to cover the world thinly. And the staff weren't particularly friendly, either. I think I'll end up missing the Majestic.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 16 February 2010 1.26pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
For me, Majestic did a few wine regions in depth, whereas Laithwaites appeared to be trying to cover the world thinly.

Laithwaites import and sell good wine, not just wine from any particular region (which is why they changed their name from Bordeaux Direct).

I will certainly try their shop as I used to buy their wine by mail order and their call centre service was second to none. On the rare occasion that I was sent a bad bottle, they replaced it immediately without question, just by a single phone call.
Tuesday 16 February 2010 3.30pm
An interesting history lesson, Possel, but unfortunately it has no relationship to the stock on the shop.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: