Worst takeaway ever?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Martin Underwood Monday 15 March 2004 10.48am
Oh dear; perhaps there ought to be a leaflet distributed to all households warning them of places such as this.

For the record, the members of the Indian diaspora I've come across swear by the following:

1. Bengal Clipper, Shad Thames: As the name suggests, this is the place to go for good Bengali food. It also has a good selection of Goan fish dishes. They do takeaway, but do not deliver.

2. Cafe Spice Namaste, Prescot Street (over the bridge, in Tower Hamlets). This place is run by the legendary Cyrus Todiwallah, a man with more awards than an Irish Eurovision Song Contest winner. It serves Goan and Parsi food (Bombay specialities such as Dhansak and patrani machli). They do takeaway, and delivery through the Room Service company.
rm Monday 15 March 2004 11.21am
Bengal Clipper is nice, but quite pricey.........................
Martin Underwood Monday 15 March 2004 11.57am
Ah, there's that word: "pricey". That's the price you pay for proper authentic Indian food.

I suspect that Tower Tandoori is cheap, and all their food tastes the same, because they make one generic "batch sauce", into which they add their generic ingredients.
What's the difference between a Chicken Jalfrezi and a Chicken Vindaloo? Just add three more teaspoons of chilli-powder to the latter, my dear.

Too many people have become accustomed to the stereotypical image of Indian food as 3.99 "Balti"-type places.

You may be interested to know that the Bengal Clipper offer a Sunday buffet for 7.99 per head. Now that's cheap, surely?
rm Monday 15 March 2004 1.12pm
Indeed that is cheap!

I was thinking of a lovely indian I had there a couple of weeks ago where it cost us about 30 a head. The same amount and quality of 'proper authentic Indian food' from Spice Lounge (see above) would be significantly less than that and just as authentic.

I agree that Bengal Clipper is lovely, but it is strictly for special occasions only - not a regular weekend take away!
Kyliedog Monday 15 March 2004 4.51pm
I have had many takeaways from the Bermondsey Tandoori, Jamaica Rd. 0207 231 7770. Never dissapointed so far.
They also offer a free side dish with orders over a tenner......MMmmmmmm want a curry now!!

Ivanhoe returns Monday 15 March 2004 5.03pm
Bengal Clipper also do a special set meal for a tenner (but you have to ask for the special menus). The money saved here will let you dip a bit deeper into your pocket when looking at their wine list (I remember a surprisingly good SA wine from last time that any of you City boys would consider obscenely cheap)

It really is another level of Indian food, and I'd thoroughly recommend it. However, it is a bit on the posh side for (what I consider) everyday dining.

However, for the budget option I'd go out of SE1 (sacrilege I know) and find your own personal favourite on Tooting's "Curry Mile" (just about the only place where I'd actively ask to go to a vegetarian restaurant because there are some seriously good ones and often they are the ones with the most exciting food). I've got my favourites, but my friends (years of collective residence in SW whatever between them) all seem to disagree and have their own faves (each different from the others, but all good).
fedora Monday 15 March 2004 5.09pm
Tayyab's on Fieldgate St, E1 (Whitechapel tube) is just over Tower Bridge and to my mind it's the best Indian in London. Amazing tandoori fish, excellent range of flavours (rather than default 'curry') and always impossible to spend over about 7 pounds a head (it's BYO.)

Only complaint is that it is always very popular so try to avoid going there at the weekend (or during ramadan, when it's closed.)
Ivanhoe returns Monday 15 March 2004 5.13pm
Mmmmmmmmmm. Sounds good fedora.

Bring your own cider, and a lovely curry. Sounds like a great place for an impromptu SE1-ers evening out(side SE1).

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
abel Monday 15 March 2004 8.34pm
yum, Im hungry. Between what times are the sunday buffet at Bengal Clipper available from ? Also is the special menu for a tenner on every night ? anybody know ? thanx
jo green Monday 15 March 2004 8.51pm
Martin......

The Tower Bridge tandoori, is not what I would call cheap.

1x prawn dish
1x chicken dish
1x potato side dish
1 x rice
1x naan

= 24

not cheap for utter rubbish.

Also I live about 30 seconds away from the Bengal Clipper but the last time I asked (january) they did not do takeaway.
Will deffinately try some of the other recommendations though.
Thanks all

Jo

Post edited (15 Mar 04 20:52)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions