Worst takeaway ever?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Steven Monday 22 March 2004 11.52am
Simply Indian is certainly the best Indian take away in Central London, let alone SE1. I know of friends of a friend who travel from West London to eat here, as Simply Indian don't deliver all the way out there!
Sue Monday 22 March 2004 12.43pm
Might try it on your recommendation. Usually pick things up near Brick Lane and cab them back, so not ideal, if not Morley Tandoori locally here.
Charlie Richmond Monday 22 March 2004 3.18pm
Bengal Clipper do the tenner special every night but not only do you have to ask specially for the set price menu but the other night they brought and charged us for chutney we didn't order (it was quite nice though ;-) and double charged us for the set menu as well as the individual dishes from that menu! This made the bill more than twice as much as expected and when we pointed it out, there was a long delay before correcting it and no apology whatsoever!

On top of that, service was VERY slow and quite indifferent from MOST of the people involved..... It was late on Friday night but they weren't very busy and had lots of servers hanging about but we always look like tourists (and have that kind of accent) so we sometimes find we don't get treated like locals likely to reoffend...

In this case, we won't be going back even though the food was very good...

Charlie

jo green Monday 22 March 2004 10.45pm
Having started this thread about WORST takeaways, I just wanted to say that the Thames Takeaway (jamiaca road, directly opposite shad thames junction) Is the best value take away in SE1 (my humble opinion of course)

It does a mixture of chinese and vietnamese food, it is a bit anglicised but lovely nonetheless.

For 2 years living here I was put off by the appearance of the shop, and indeed it most definately isn`t the Ritz,but one night when the Hing Lee was closed and I was desperate for a takeaway fix I took my chances and have never been to the Hing Lee since.

Last night we had two main courses and 2 side orders from Thames Takeaway and it was 8.
The squid we had was sooo fresh it was practically still swimming.
The staff are friendly and the service very fast (no delivery)
It is approx half the price of the Hing Lee so is definately worth a try folks!

Jo.
Sue Tuesday 23 March 2004 10.23am
Well, tried Simply Indian last night. They didn't have chicken Jalfrezi or Cardamom ice cream, but we had three main courses, rice and a stuffed baby aubergine and keema nan, plus large coffee spice Hill Station ice cream. The price was 33, so not dirt cheap, but apart from the aubergine which was a little disappointing and very oily, the rest arrived quite promptly and the food was found to be excellent and not at all mean in the portions. Will definitely order from them again.
kelvin brown Wednesday 24 March 2004 2.02am
Check out tuesday's evening standard. there is an interesting artcile about the use of potentially "dangerous and illegal" levels of food dye chemicals by some indian restaurants in london.

Link below:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/9786108
Stíofán Sunday 27 June 2004 4.14pm
Anyone tried a take-away from Spicy World? This is their website:

http://www.spicyworld.net -

they aren't based in SE1 but do deliver here. You can order on line without even having to speak to anyone, and the meal turns up!! (hot too which is a problem I have with some others I have ordered)

I tried them last night, ordering a special set meal and starter, the food was excellent. Lovely mixed tandori grill in which the meat was nicely cooked and delicious, not expecting the main to live up to the starter, I was very nicely surprised - a chicken balti that came with a good sauce and also a dal sauce, couple of free papadums too. The papadum onions and yogurt were the only disappointment, but as they were free I wasn't going to complain.

Anyway, they were very good and well priced.
red bus Monday 28 June 2004 10.45am

With Simply Indian, I just want to say that the Emperor has no clothes - it is actually just OK and is really expensive for what you get.

...it just *seems* better because there are loads of passing poor indian take-aways here. On eperson here has posted that Simply Indian is:

"...certainly the best Indian take away in Central London, let alone SE1..."

Nope. Good (on good days) yes, but I have had at least two bad meals there.

(phew, glad to have that off my chest)
stevenl Monday 28 June 2004 10.49am
I was there on Saturday night, and as per usual, the food was brilliant and the service was great.

As with all restaurant experiences, it depends on the people and what they are expecting - I want authentic Indian food and decent service, and have always found Simply Indian to provide that in great measures!
red bus Monday 28 June 2004 10.54am

I know that a lot of people like it - I just feel it is important for me to add my opinion too to balance out the endless encomia.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions