lets image, instant cash site opened in Walworth road. would do go for it?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
aja
Monday 15 February 2010 6.52pm
hi there,

I'm donig a research about employment in the area. found out, there is a lot of unemploeyd people.
so lets say there is instant cash site in Walworth road.
people can come whenever they want and work for as long as they want. after they finish the job- instant cash in their pockets. no contracts, nothing.
jobs would be packing, mailing etc. there is no experience, or skills required.

would you go??

p.s. would be minimum wages of course... :)
Monday 15 February 2010 7.35pm
have you registered specifically to ask that question? Had you realised that Walworth Road is actually SE17, not SE1 - this forum is the London SE1 forum - don't think there's a London SE17 forum?

As a matter of fact, if I were skint I would go.
Monday 15 February 2010 9.32pm
I'm not sure this is the right forum for this, but you'd need to look into the specific legal issues surrounding this, particularly surrounding tax and national insurance.
Monday 15 February 2010 10.09pm
Not personally but can think of some people who would be very interested.

Benefit fraud teams, tax office, border control agency.
Monday 15 February 2010 10.54pm
I might be wrong but I think it wouldn't be allowed. You would need invoices from the workers (so not so instant unless you can print them out on the spot on their behalf) and they would all need to be registered as self-employed, and have addresses. You mention unemployed people. Legally they would have to declare their earnings, which would be deducted from their benefit. Their Housing Benefit if they get it would be suspended and investigated. The only way to realistically get off benefits is to get a full-time job, which is a great shame because the sort of thing you suggest has the potential to get people out of a rut and depression.
Monday 15 February 2010 10.56pm
I recently heard about the slivers of time concept which is a structured way of offering this sort of flexible working:

http://www.sliversoftime.com/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 16 February 2010 8.29am
Is this what could be described as casual labour?
Tuesday 16 February 2010 12.11pm
The legal issues are enormous - many mentioned above - but you will also find it impossible to get insurance to cover people performing manual labour for you, without proper records of them being trained and inducted. The Health and Safety Executive will similarly not be happy to "play ball".

Casual labour, as was, still exists. One only has to look at the crowds of men congregating very early in the morning in car parks on A-Roads all over Britain waiting to be picked up for a day on a building site. However most of these workers are working illegally and their pay and conditions reflect this. This is the black market.

However that's not to say that you couldnt find a way for people to work when they choose (although how you would factor that into your business plan when you cannot predict how much packing, mailing etc you can promise your clients at any one time). You'd need them to be pre-registered though and you'd need to keep detailed records or them and the hours they work.

aja wrote:
for as long as they want

The Working Time Directive still applies. I think you need to have a read of the relevant legislation. You might find a lot of the guidance here useful http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1073859176. Oh and you might also want to proof read your posts - I struggled to get what you were saying in parts ;0)
Tuesday 16 February 2010 1.49pm
It's a good idea, but I think your find the regulations and red-tape very difficult to navigate and I don't see where your margin would come from (assuming this was a commercial venture).
Tuesday 16 February 2010 2.48pm
"Let's image" sounds like something a creative thinking consultant might say. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: