WW2 bombs and SE1 Thames bridges

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Heather Pindar Sunday 14 March 2004 8.27pm
Walking across Tower Bridge wondering if Al Qaeda had it in its sights, I wondered why the Nazis hadn't hit it or other bridges.

Were there any hits on SE1 bridges? Did they stand up to them?
James Hatts Sunday 14 March 2004 8.40pm
A bomb was found in the Thames during the works on Hungerford Bridge a few years ago:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/130
jan Monday 15 March 2004 7.13am
James did they find a bomb while renewing parts of Guys a few years ago ( I mean several years ago...memory playing tricks again!)

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
R. Shaw Monday 15 March 2004 9.36am
Rather than losing bridges, I think that while the bombs were dropping, Waterloo Bridge was being constructed - by women.
Ivanhoe returns Monday 15 March 2004 3.32pm
Yes, but it's pretty odd (as Heather said at first) that they didn't bomb Tower Bridge isn't it?

Apart from the disruption, I'm sure enough people share my view that it's a little symbol of blighty

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
R. Shaw Monday 15 March 2004 4.29pm
I don't think that the bridges were held to be a worthwhile target in the war. The bombing was on the industrial areas and the docks of London. Most of the bombs were small incendiary devices, which could be put out if dealt with quickly, with a few high explosive biggies dropped to keep everyone underground. London was burnt down rather than blown up. The important buildings had fire watchers who stood on the roofs and dealt with the fire bombs during the raids which is why for example St Paul's was left standing while the surrounding area was completely destroyed.
Ivanhoe returns Monday 15 March 2004 4.55pm
Well I never. Thanks RS. I had the idea (wrong obviously) that they'd want to blow up landmark buildings as a blow to national morale.

I suppose either I'm too emotionally connected to bricks and mortar and know nothing at all about how to wage a war, or else Hitler missed a trick.

If only he'd made me ubercommandant of strategy, we could all be living in Ivanhoe's paradise and I would be sitting in mapmaker's requisitioned country pile, dictating this to a naked blond secretary with the biggest pigtails you've ever seen (natural of course - no wigs of any sort, before you start Jan) stopping only for a swig from my stein of cider.
big brown bear Tuesday 16 March 2004 8.45am
Tower Bridge was used as a landmark to help German bomber pilots.
I learned that at the Tower Bridge Experience.
Maurits Tuesday 16 March 2004 10.34am
The most important landmark though, was the Thames itself. It reflects lots of light during the night, so it was relatively easy for the germans to find their targets, which were often on the river banks.
dave baker Tuesday 16 March 2004 10.41am
At the back of the library on Borough high street (local history section?) there are maps so you can see where the bombs, V1's and V2's actually hit.

Snowfields is one example....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions