"Beach" in front of the Anchor brewhouse

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 14 March 2004 8.32pm
At low tide a "beach" appears in front of the anchor brewhouse. There's another on the Wapping side.

I suspect its purpose was not for urchins to be photographed in black and white having fun. Was it used to load a particular sort of good. Hops? Barrels of beer?
Sunday 14 March 2004 9.09pm
There was once a beach in front of the Tower of London, that was certainly used by urchins for fun, I've seen the photographs.
jan
Monday 15 March 2004 7.14am
Yess, it was a very narrow strip of sand Alan...I remember it.

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Monday 15 March 2004 9.18am
google "reclaim the beach" and see what people do get up to on SE1 beaches

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 15 March 2004 9.52am
The beaches were opened purely for leisure in the 1930s. See this article for more info.
Monday 15 March 2004 2.27pm
There is a beach outside the Hayward Gallery /NFT...nice after a film or gallery visit if you can time it right (low tides only)

The sand is actually quite OK..
Monday 15 March 2004 11.05pm
Interesting to see that King George V "promised free access for ever" to the beach at the Tower. Its now closed except at Archaeology Weekend for 4 hours annually. I asked the Tower authorities if I could go down there at other times and was denied. Have hopped over the barrier a few times but you always feel like you could get your head chopped off if caught.
Tuesday 16 March 2004 6.36am
Modern urchins don't need a beach. They have the Tate Members room.
Wednesday 17 March 2004 6.13am
Let's reclaim the beach of Berm-On-Sea, can we have donkey rides, deck chairs and maybe a mods v rockers punch-up at Easter? Perhaps Berkley Homes could build some loft-style beach huts.

Post edited (17 Mar 04 07:58)

Ignorance is bliss
Wednesday 17 March 2004 9.15am
Well I'll be there, trousers rolled up, knotted hankie on my head, pint of cider in my hand.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: