The Elephant pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 21 February 2010 7.31pm
A young man called tonight saying there is a 'It's a knock out' on behalf of the Macmillan nurses Saturday next publicans against the fireman, it starts at three o'clock near the leisure centre. As I was not quite with it then I said no and closed the front door, now I feel guilty and wish I had taken more details. so have posted it on here...
Monday 22 February 2010 8.55pm
Jan, I emailed Macmillan about this. The reply says
'I am afraid that this isn't something that I am aware of, did you hear that this was a Macmillan event?'
Monday 22 February 2010 9.52pm
Yes, he definitely said that , he said 'have you heard of the macmillan nurses' which of course I had and said yes, he then asked me to sponsor them, he had a book with him and sounded genuine, but because I was feeling a bit gaga as pills had not kicked in said no..

I suppose we could phone The Elephant pub? if he was a conman I should have said you sponsor TAKs abseil and I'll sponsor your tug of war thingy!
Tuesday 23 February 2010 10.23am
He has been working the area for years, I'm afraid. Came knocking around my building on the New Kent Road at least 3 years ago. He must make money doing it, or he would quit. I can believe nice people like Jan believe that the event is taking place, because it's plausible, but not that people give him money.
Tuesday 23 February 2010 1.09pm
Funny enough Andrew I felt so guilty after sending him on his way, I opened the front door to see if I could call him back and tell him to advertise it on here! but he was too quick for me..

If I see him again I'll whack him with me pole dancing stick..he's no fool then Andrew because most pubs do not have their phone numbers in directory as I found out this morning.

And he was sooo flipping convincing with hbis ruddy book for noting sponsors, wonder if he would have asked for the money up front! Cant believe I was almost taken in...grrr...

I know I have, for TAKS 500feet down facing abseil in May for MGA but I have it!, but we know you lot and we know you trust us!!
TAK
Wednesday 24 February 2010 2.28pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Funny enough Andrew I felt so guilty after sending him on his way, I opened the front door to see if I could call him back and tell him to advertise it on here! but he was too quick for me..
If I see him again I'll whack him with me pole dancing stick..he's no fool then Andrew because most pubs do not have their phone numbers in directory as I found out this morning.

And he was sooo flipping convincing with hbis ruddy book for noting sponsors, wonder if he would have asked for the money up front! Cant believe I was almost taken in...grrr...

I know I have, for TAKS 500feet down facing abseil in May for MGA but I have it!, but we know you lot and we know you trust us!!

The good thing about raising money for Jan's favourite charity is that its' through Just Giving - so no need to be concerned the money goes really to this charity.
Here's how just Giving works (copied from their website):

We process donations and reclaim Gift Aid for our member charities, and charge a small fee for our service. It works like this:

When you donate 10 on our site, we send 100% to the charity by the end of the week.
We reclaim Gift Aid from the government, which takes about a month, adding 2.82 to your donation.
It's only when we receive the Gift Aid that we charge our 5% fee, along with credit/debit card/PayPal charges, and send the rest to the charity. If you are not a UK taxpayer and we can't reclaim Gift Aid, our fee comes out of your donation. Since over 85% of donations through JustGiving are eligible for Gift Aid, our charities always end up raising more with us.
So, for every 10 you give as a UK taxpayer, the charity receives almost 12, and they get it much faster than they would otherwise.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: