A good hard working MP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Monday 22 February 2010 3.18pm
From Guardian this weekend!

• Not too long ago I sat near Simon Hughes MP in a standard-class carriage on a train (Tory calls first-class ban 'infuriating', 19 February). It was my intention to nod the journey away. No chance. Hughes never stopped working. He received and made countless phone calls, was up and down to access his briefcase and spoke to everyone who recognised him. While I admire his work ethic and cheerful disposition, I would have gladly contributed to a fund to have him upgraded to first class.

Andrew Lynch

• I too have experienced the hyperactive travelling of Simon Hughes MP (Letters, 20 February). On a Saturday train to Cambridge, he deduced from my sober dress that we were attending the same memorial service; proposed a shared taxi; somehow gathered in the niece of the deceased; paid for our cab; and gave me a piece of chewing gum - all while dictating on the phone to his office a line to take on environmental issues. First class!

Rev Philip Welsh

London
Monday 22 February 2010 4.47pm
It's nice to hear people with good things to say about politicians.
Monday 22 February 2010 7.38pm
I always said he had a doppleganger, one day I saw him about 4/5 times in different locations within the borough talking to people on the same day, then at st olaves nursing home in the evening, give the boy his credit at least you would see him on a regular basis not just near voting day...and on a bus or in his orange taxi ( has he still got it?)
Monday 22 February 2010 11.39pm
I saw him wobbling along on a bicycle in Grange Road a few months ago, all dressed up in a dinner suit!
Tuesday 23 February 2010 11.29am
Whilst not a Political Animal, I have always had the greatest admiration for Simon Hughes. He not only works exceedingly hard and lives in his Constituency, he has a great sense of humour - so necessary in his work - and compassion for people from all walks of life.

I have seen him on his bike many times, but not wobbling :p
Tuesday 23 February 2010 12.54pm
got to say when I moved to Southwark I broke the habit of a lifetime & voted liberal. it was refreshing not to have to vote on party political lines, but just on the man in question...
Tuesday 18 May 2010 10.27am
as i was saying before i was rudely censored ...
no job for simon then!
Tuesday 18 May 2010 11.07am
Er, he has a job, he's our local MP!
Thursday 20 May 2010 9.59am
he may be yours.
he'll never be mine ...
Thursday 20 May 2010 10.03am
Move to this part of SE1 and he will be.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: