Parking enforcement

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 22 February 2010 4.34pm
On Saturday morning I saw a Lambeth Tow truck in the Southwark part of Webber Street tethering a car. Although I did not see the car being lifted on to the truck, it looked like it had just happened at that spot. (Close to the green shop), junction of Blackfriars Road.

On Thursday I witnessed Southwark enforcement officers on mopeds checking parking permits in Silex Street two minutes before the 8.30 enforcement time. I did question him and he said his machine said 8.31, at which point the radio announced it was exactly 8.30. I know its only a couple of minutes but there is an issue here.
Monday 22 February 2010 4.54pm
the parking around here is fooked.

feels like it is my hobby-horse but it really winds me up how few spaces there are for residents and don't get me started on the mess that is Bermondsey Street on a Sunday where the churchgoers leave barely enought space for cars to drive up the street let alone an emergency vehicle...

I've written twice now to Linda Manchester at Southwark Council to express my concerns about this but to-date I've not heard anything despite first writing at the start of December.

Parking in this area is currently under review and the plans from the council have reduced the parking spaces for residents, turning some of them into more disabled spaces and others into visitor spaces for people to pay for parking by the hour.

Expect to see more and more of our friendly Parking Attendants and tow trucks as the council use car owners to make more money.
Monday 22 February 2010 5.25pm
phraze says it all - blo*dy joke to park round here. I daren't move the car at the weekend for fear that my space will be gone.

(I did move it yesterday and someone stupid reversed 15 feet straight back into me!)

Moral of this story: Don't own a car and live in SE1.
Monday 22 February 2010 7.18pm
Gavin Smith wrote:

Moral of this story: Don't own a car and live in SE1.

That would appear to be Southwark's unstated desire. If you look in the Core Strategy (separate thread), try to see if you can find any strategy at all relating to parking or traffic. The only thing I could find was an intention to make the place more pleasant to walk or cycle in, with good public transport connections.
Monday 22 February 2010 7.50pm
I think you're right Possel in that it is Southwark's unstated desire. Problem is sometimes it is necessary to have a car. I cycle to work and only use the car at weekends when necessary with the kids. There needs to be some proper provision for residents paying for the privilege of being able to park near one's house.
Monday 22 February 2010 8.24pm
If Sthk were serious about reducing cars, they could run a car club that doesn't charge exhorbitant prices (for, e.g. the odd week or weekend hire).

It costs a lot to insure even an old banger round here. And then it needs servicing, taxing, MOT, etc. We had an old car when we moved here, and we just hung on to it through apathy for a few years. Eventually, we worked out that the cost of keeping the car for a year would more than cover the cost of hiring one for the odd weekends and holidays out of town (maybe a couple of weeks, and say half a dozen long weekends a year). It's a lot less hassle, and we get to drive a different car every time we drive. If we're carting a lot of stuff we can hire a big car; otherwise, we can hire a cheap small car. And I don't feel guilty if we take the odd black cab as a treat. I'm not paying for an unused car to sit outside our flat.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who keep a car in SE1 but only use it sporadically, and for longer trips. Current car club pricing is prohibitive for rentals of a weekend or longer, but I do think there's room for a profitable car club that can offer longer rentals for a competitive price. And I think that if someone did this, they would present a viable alternative to owning a car for a significant number of SE1ers

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 22 February 2010 9.49pm
Possel wrote:
The only thing I could find was an intention to make the place more pleasant to walk or cycle in, with good public transport connections.

What a lovely idea, but they don't need to have less cars to achieve this. They could have laws. If they made it illegal to drive through red lights it would be much more pleasant for pedestrians. I've had enough of staring at the green man while the cars fly past.
Monday 22 February 2010 9.59pm
We got rid of the car 10 years ago and hire when we need one.

I like the idea of a co-op car!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: