Swimming Technique

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Jan the old one Wednesday 24 February 2010 9.39pm
I have a young man staying with me who is going to to something weird and wonderful called a Tri-Athlon(?)

He wants to strengthen and hone his swimming technique as he feels that this area of his performance could be improved. Where in this area would be the best place? and could anyone advise him, is the seven islands the place for him?

He is very fit, unlike me!
Auntie Pat Thursday 25 February 2010 12.26am
there used to be a swimming pool at Guys - it was for the medical students and staff but opened to the public. It was a decent size, if I recall. I assume it's still there.
kirsty Thursday 25 February 2010 10.09am
I've heard about the Guy's pool too, anyone know if it's really there? I've been going to the hydrotherapy pool there with my daughter for baby swimming but it's not big enough for grown-up swimming!

Which Triathlon is he doing? A lot of them have open water swims which can be quite different to pool swimming, especially as he'd be wearing a wetsuit and the extra buoyancy and effect of waves etc make it harder so would be worth trying to get in a bit of practice at that. I know the Serpentine and Hampstead heath have pond swimming in the summer might be the nearest thing, not sure when they open though.

For pool swimming I used to go to the Oasis sports centre on Endell street (off new oxford st) it has 2 25m pools and one of them is outdoors and laned off so I tended to go for that one if I wanted to do lengths as it was less busy with people just relaxing. Also there is a pool at Peckham pulse I think but not been there.

Wish him luck from me! I reckon I could have a go at the swimming bit but no chance on the running or cycling!

Kxxx
beetroot Thursday 25 February 2010 10.39am
The Guy's pool is free for volunteers at the hospital.
Jan the old one Thursday 25 February 2010 11.31am
I'll ask him later Kirsty, as I said he is very fit, I think he was a champion runner in his teens, not sure if it was cross country or track. I think he would like someone to advise over his breathing etc. also.
He is also ex-soldier and I think he is going to be bored out of his mind in London on his days off from work as he is used to working out etc.

I'll tell him about the places you suggested thank you..Jantoo x :-)
Julie Thursday 25 February 2010 1.45pm
There's also St George's Pool on the Highway, just over Tower Bridge: large pool and 12ft deep at the, well the, deep end!
Enbee Thursday 25 February 2010 1.49pm
Might be worth getting in touch with the Serpentine club if he's in London a while - http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/racing_tri.html (I used to be a member of the running club, no current connection)
TAK Thursday 25 February 2010 2.09pm
highgate men's pond is open all year round if I remember correctly. BUt he'd need a wetsuit as it would be really cold and there are no hot showers up there. But could be combined with a cycle from se1
JonR Friday 26 February 2010 10.02am
London Fields lido (Hackney) is heated and open all year round. It'd be a good run or cycle ride away from SE1, but that would only improve things right?
longlaner Saturday 27 February 2010 12.36am
You can also pay to swim at Guy's. It's a decent 25m pool, though not exactly swanky. It's only for people who want to swim lengths, and the lanes are graded, so a triathlete who's swimming fast freestyle should be able to go at his or her preferred pace.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions