Never-ending 'streetworks'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 25 February 2010 5.53pm
SE1 has put up with its fair share of road works and street works for years now. I get the impression Lambeth and Southwark councils are competing for the 'Never-ending Disruption' trophy. After the junction to Waterloo Road and The Cut was FINALLY completed, hey presto, Waterloo Road has been dug up again and bus stops closed. The second set of traffic lights under the bridge on Waterloo Road are still fenced off and have been for nearly two years!

Blackfriars Road, not wanting to be left out, has had sporadic excavations for months now long after the main diggers left.

Conway and Morrison, the contractors whose logos are etched into residents' brains, seem to be doing very well out of all of this mayhem.

Oh, and Conway have left a lovely Hadrian's Wall-sized pile of bricks ready for relaying Baron's Place right outside the flats opposite The Stage Door pub on Gray Street. Gee. Er. Thanks for asking if we minded. Seeing as the hotel won't be finished for months, I imagine we'll strike up a beautiful relationship with the bricks.
Thursday 25 February 2010 8.22pm
And where the hole was filled in at the junction of Blackfiars Road and The Cut it has 'sprung a leak' so I suspect that newly laid tarmac will be dug up again.
Zoe
Thursday 25 February 2010 9.15pm
I've also noticed that the work always seems to leave lumpy concrete on the road when they've finished, it's a right pain to cycle over.

Also, the new road areas are terrible for drainage. The bit of new road on The Cut opposite Southwark College is flooding the whole road when it rains, and I have to stand up on my bike to go over the new raised table at the junction of Union Street and Southwark Bridge Road, it's like a mini lake, I'm sure there's fish living in there.
Thursday 25 February 2010 9.56pm
But why is Openworld/BT now digging up the same spot in the junction of The Cut and Blackfriars Road days after Thames Water filled their excavation up... the leak has probably damaged their phone cables?
Friday 26 February 2010 9.25am
the roadworks on TfL roads i.e. Waterloo Rd, Blackfriars Rd are overseen by TfL, nothing to do with the councils :-(
Friday 26 February 2010 10.11am
an extract from the Worcestershire County Council website on Section 58
Quote:
Section 58 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 is a legal notice which is served on all the 'statutory undertakers' who carry out work in the county. It allows local authorities to protect sections of the highway from certain works, following substantial road works (e.g. resurfacing or reconstruction).
The Council provides advance notice of these restrictions, so that works promoters (Utility companies, or private contractors / developers) can arrange to conduct their works in advance of the restriction coming into force. This process promotes better works planning and co-ordination, helps minimise disruption to road users, and helps to prolong the life of the roads.

The restrictions can last up to five years following the completion of the works. Emergency works such as gas escapes or loss of power are exempt from the restriction.
Friday 26 February 2010 12.26pm
I thought Boris was going to do something about this endless upheaval...
Friday 26 February 2010 12.53pm
Boris meant to do lots of things but just couldn't be bothered as he was too interested in promoting himself. Bring back Red Ken who at least genuinely cares about the people!
Friday 26 February 2010 1.16pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
... Bring back Red Ken who at least genuinely cares about the people!

No, he doesn't - he cares for only certain sub-sections, such as any racial minority, and roadworks were no better with him either.
Saturday 27 February 2010 2.46pm
The only time I was impressed was the recent refresh of Garden Row- it was dug up, cleaned up, re tarmaced and painted all in one day...

However the drain hole that fell open has taken a couple of weeks to get properly fixed.

Having arrived here only 5 years ago I have reached the conclusion that there is a 100% chance of roadworks on my bus route into the West End at all times.

Waterloo Station and surrounds is a night mare and it's reached the point where I don't even attempt to walk these days.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: