Oxo Tower - public viewing platform

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 25 February 2010 5.59pm
I've heard, and seen in print, repeated references to a publicly accessible viewing platform forming a condition of planning permission for the Oxo Tower redevelopment.

Does anyone know anything about it? Is there a copy of the planning consent on-line? I've had a look and can't find anything.

Phil
Thursday 25 February 2010 7.05pm
even if there such a condition, it will soon be quietly forgotten, just like the public access to the Thames at the Old Horselydown Steps…
Friday 26 February 2010 11.50am
The Oxo Tower has a public viewing platform on the 8th floor, unless it has closed recently?
Friday 26 February 2010 8.53pm
sorry to divulge, but Gavin, could you expand on the situation with Horselydown stairs? I noticed last summer the gates were sadly always firmly locked, whereas previously they were open, to access the "beach" at low tides, which i loved. do the leaseholders of the brewhouse really have sole rights to access the shore at low tide?
Friday 26 February 2010 11.21pm
The Oxo building is part Coin Street. The restaurant on the 8th are just a tenant of CSCB and are required to maintain a public viewing area in the middle.

In regard to the steps and access to river, either there is a public right of way or there is not. Just because someone stops you gaining access does not make it lawful.
Saturday 27 February 2010 8.58am
Thanks WestOfBank.

Do you know where this tenancy condition derives from?

Phil
Saturday 27 February 2010 11.19am
Hi Darren, the leaseholders absolutely do not have exclusive use of the shore. There is and has been for many years a public right of way but the security/concierge in the converted building have taken it upon themselves to unilaterally lock the gate as there was an isolated (alleged) incident last year when the security said stones were being thrown at residents' windows. In fairness he did offer to open the gate for me but it should be kept open regardless. Our local councillor, Anood, was alerted to this and the removal of the previously public seating area immediately to the left but she has done nothing.
Sunday 28 February 2010 6.50pm
Coin Street Community Builders (CSCB) are a social landlord. When the Oxo was redeveloped, they needed to bring in some outside funding, as the government no longer provided a 100% grant.

Renting out the roof and other areas of the building to businesses helped to make the 79 flats in the building affordable social rents.

The lease, that the rooftop restaurant enjoys from CSCB, stipulates that a public viewing platform must be maintained
Monday 1 March 2010 10.08pm
re Horsleydown Old Stairs:
they are a public right of way at all times from Shad Thames onto the foreshore and have been so for hundreds of years, and are acknowledged as such by Southwark Council.
The only problem is that Southwark Council does not ensure that our right of way is kept open.
Tuesday 2 March 2010 10.33am
Michael Place wrote:
The only problem is that Southwark Council does not ensure that our right of way is kept open

That is exactly it although the owners of the Anchor House originally agreed to provide access yet have now unilaterally withdrawn it. It is a familiar theme going all the way up the Thames; private developers want the land for plush houses and so promise to maintain public access, yet a few years later they quietly try to install fences and gates to stop non-residents getting there.

The other problem for me is Portland Wharf (right next to the steps). That was for years a public area with benches for people to sit at. Again, public access was quietly withdrawn so that the new bar/restaurant next door could install tables and chairs for patrons. When I took the Corporation of London to task on this, they denied that a public right of way ever existed. Anyway, sorry to take the thread off subject.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: