Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 1 March 2010 9.06pm
Great Dover Street has recently undergone renewal of pavements, roadway, and lighting,unfortunatly the standard of work done is very poor.

when the recent rain came it showed up how bad the tarmac was laid, most drainholes are higher than the tarmac so water can,t drain away at the junction of Becket Street the drain is completly blocked also pools of water in the middle of the road where the tarmac is uneven.

as for the street lighting,its a joke all they've done is to replace the existing lights with identicle ones

which shine mainly on to the roadway once the leaves on the trees come the pavement won,t be lit at all also about 6 of the lampost have never worked.i contacted southwark council (who said it was transport for londons responsibilty)i sent a e-mail to tfl but never got a reply,considering the amount of money spent someone should be checking the finshed rroadway, pavments, and lighting for faults ---dennis john
Tuesday 2 March 2010 9.37am
Dennis, They probably poured all the excess tarmac down the drains, same in new kent road where the water does not run away,I'm always tempted to take a poker heat it up in the fire and create a channel permitting the water to run away,
unfortunately no fireplace or poker! do these workman get paid before the work is inspected I wonder...
Monday 8 March 2010 10.13am
TFL are supposed to reply to all complaints (and praise?) within 20 days. But they dont.
That road was dreadful for water accumulation BEFORE the repairs and now it is just as bad if not worse.

My view is that people sit in their dry little offices and never go out on foot to see the lay of the land before the work, and rarly during and cretainly never afterwards.

At best the works were Michael Mouse.

Mind you in the recent winter tropical rains Borough High Street was awash. Not even an accomplished triple jumper could have crossed the road.
Monday 8 March 2010 2.27pm
As a cyclist, I must say that Great Dover street is now a real delight to use, especially in comparison to the horrors of, say, Borough High st and its incredibly poor surface. However, I noticed that a couple of potentially dangerous potholes (for cyclists and bikes) are already starting to form. This is obviously extremely disappointing after such a short time, and evidences the very poor standard of the job done. Everything GDS needs now, is Thames Water or EDF to come and start digging a few trenches here and there...
Tuesday 9 March 2010 6.10am
A few years ago the puddles in great dover street were deep and wide enough to have seagulls bobbing about, especially the one near the round house, and when a bus pulled in you had to stand well back from the road or get a soaking.
I think all works need to be done 'in house' perhaps the workmen would be more accountable then?
Tuesday 9 March 2010 12.23pm
Great Dover Street A2 is a red route which means that Transport for London are responsible for its maintainance and repair. I will pass these complaints on to TfL directly. Usually their work on red routes is to a good standard but I'm not always sure that they supervise contrators tightly enough. Clearly they have had a duff job done here and I'll get them to inspect it properly. Apart from any danger and inconvenience its public money that's being spent! Val
Zoe
Tuesday 9 March 2010 9.15pm
Hi Val,

Could you also mention to them about The Cut across from Southwark College (it's not be a red route, but TFL did the work).

Since they did the refurbishment work the road next to the raised table floods when it rains, and heavy rain means the whole street floods, which isn't too pleasant on a bike as the cars start to swerve to avoid the puddle.

Union Street where it joins Southwark Bridge Road has had the same problem since they put a raised table in. It seems to be an issue with the raised tables, as they don't put any drainage in, I'm not sure if that's poor workmanship or just lack of foresight.

Ta!
Wednesday 10 March 2010 2.09pm
Hi Zoe,

I'll give it a go but they may bounce me back to Southwark anyway...Val
Wednesday 10 March 2010 5.01pm
The Cut and Union Street are both the responsiblity of LB Southwark rather than TfL. TfL are responsbile for red routes, so if it has red road markings it is TfL's problem.

I find the Fix My Street website (no connection) a good way to report problems, but Southwark are equally swift if you use the form on their site - https://securesite.southwark.gov.uk/ShowForm.asp?fm_fid=276

I am going to report that there is a similar problem with water/drains where Great Suffolk Street meets Borough High Street.
Friday 12 March 2010 3.27pm
Hi Zoe - as expected -TfL's reply to me

Thanks for this. We double-checked and confirmed that Zoe's email should be brought to the attention of Southwark. TfL did not undertake these works, nor would we be in a position to correct any defects on The Cut. Regards Andrew Miles Government Relationship Manager, Transport for London
Strategic Relationship Centre
Floor 11 - Zone B2, Palestra
197 Blackfriars Road
LONDON, SE1 8NJ
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: