In praise of Southwark Council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 7 March 2010 6.31pm
For those who have not noticed, the St Mary Magdalen churchyard (which is the council's responsibility) has had a decent spring tidy up. This is the first for some years, and it really looks much better. Moreover, they have corrected their new signs which spelled "Magdalen" with an extra "e" on the end (which might be the conventional spelling but is not the customary name of St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey).

I am often annoyed by the Council's approach which seems to ignore the needs and desires of the residents, and I never thought that I would write a post with the above title, but I want to salute something they have done right.
Sunday 7 March 2010 11.02pm
I think the work the council does on many of the local small parks and public spaces is admirable. There's a modesty about the planting, increasingly combined with understated quality and sophistication in the benches, lighting, litter bins and so on, which suggests quality thinking behind the decision-making. The same goes for the recent upgrading in Snowsfields and the planned work in Rothsay St. I'm also enjoying St. Mary Magdalen churchyard, so I second Possel's salute.
Monday 8 March 2010 12.05am
Monday 8 March 2010 8.21am
To give credit where it is due the original plans for Rothsay Street were drawn up by Max from the Jam Factory.

After the initial consultation with residents from the three affected estates, where the plans were well received with some comments, it was then taken up by the public realm department.

I look forward to seeing the revised plans and costings.
Monday 8 March 2010 8.36am
I must say I jumped when I saw the title of this thread. Glad there are some positive vibes from someone. Personally I'm gutted that the wonderful green space full of trees between the railway line and Albert Barnes House is now covered in a huge multi-storey building. So let's not get too thrilled here...
Monday 8 March 2010 11.27am
Re Rothsay St, sorry, didn't intend to take credit from Jam Factory Max. Still, impressive that the council responded positively to a local resident's input. Take your point about awaiting finalisation too, dgeorgea :)
Monday 8 March 2010 2.05pm
aoibhneas ref Snowsfields - if you mean the pavement widening, loading bay, street furniture etc I think you will find that was actually planned, funded etc via Team London Bridge which is local business financed from a business rates levy.

Not trying to take everything away from the Council as think they do some good stuff.
Monday 8 March 2010 2.44pm
blimey, just shows what I know. still seconding possel's salute, though. :)
Monday 8 March 2010 3.13pm
Shane Clarke from Team London Bridge. Very happy to hear that people like the Snowsfields redevelopment. Although the business improvement district did finance and deliver as mentioned I should point out that Southwark Council played a very considerable and very helpful partnership role - as they did with the recent LED tree lighting system on Tooley Street.
Monday 8 March 2010 4.02pm
Thanks, Shane. Not quite so dumb as I look, then, which is a considerable relief. Thanks for the tree lighting system on Tooley St. too. Enjoying it.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: