Supermarket

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 9 March 2010 9.46am
Just about to move to Westminster Bridge Road by Lambeth North Tube but the only negative for me is no BIG supermarket within easy walking distance.Have the big boys missed a trick?With so many residents and new hotels etc in the area it seems strange.Well at least I can get a good coffee on Lower Marsh!
Tuesday 9 March 2010 12.23pm
The site at the corner of WBR and Lower Marsh in the former Language School is likely to become a supermarket (probably Tesco Express) in the next few years... but yes, the area seriously lacks a full market. Tesco Kennington is a bit of a trek.
Tuesday 9 March 2010 6.57pm
I am no great lover of supermarkets so I think it is one of the virtues of living round here that there's still a good range of shops and stalls in Lower Marsh. Good and cheap fruit and veg from the market stalls; posher fruit and veg (and great bread and meat) from Greensmiths. But there is also cheap and cheerful stuff from Iceland and an extraordinary range of cleaning products from Supreme Stores. Fish is the main missing ingredient and there's not twenty four opening (but some places are open until eight). Overall I think the local shopping is rather civilised.
Wednesday 10 March 2010 12.24am
I recommend the stalls down Lower Marsh for cheap veg. WBR isn't that far from the Elephant, or from the Sainsbury's on Waterloo Road. If you get on the 53 bus it will take you to Old Kent Road Tesco which is pretty big.
Wednesday 10 March 2010 9.20am
or do it my lazy way and use ocado and get it delivered.
we use asda on OKR when we need to.
its only a 6 cab ride back to blackfriars rd with all the bags.
Monday 15 March 2010 6.58am
It is a mystery to me why people move to an area and then immediately want to change it! Please, oh please keep TESCO/ASDA/SAINSBURYS etc out of the area. Let's retain some uniqueness and civilisation instead of turning it into another faceless multinational 'High Street'. Support the traders in Lower Marsh instead!
Wednesday 17 March 2010 12.49am
kennington tesco has a free bus every 20 min - not sure how close to lambeth north it goes - you could ask them

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: