Accident on Weston St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
edithlh Tuesday 9 March 2010 11.18am
The bottom end of Weston street at the junction with Snowsfields is crawling with Police.
Very sadly I saw a body covered in a red blanket, apparently a cyclist has been killed by a collision with a lorry.
When I returned the police tent had gone up to cover the body.
So very sad, my condolences to the persons family.

urbanite Tuesday 9 March 2010 11.44am
That juction is very difficult to navigate with the bend in the road as you travel North on Weston Street with the parking bays on the Eastern side of the road. In fact all the small narrow streets around this area are dangerous with visibility ofetn being compromised for parking bays. SC need to decide what the priority is...parking or avoiding accidents (minor to major) and understand that whatever they do they will upset some group, cannot please everyone, and have the balls to get on and do it. But then its SC Traffic Department which has been one of the most reticent, weak and disinterested groups I have ever dealt with. Were they to be held to account for some of the accidents, due to their poor planning decisions, maybe they would pull their finger out and do something useful, instead of spending hard earned council tax that we all seem to see dissapear into a black hole every year.
Jan the old one Tuesday 9 March 2010 11.50am
Oh dear, not another poor cyclist...thoughts are with the family..:-(
Gavin Smith Tuesday 9 March 2010 11.52am
what an absolute tragedy - we seem to be hearing of bicycle accidents more and more. I cycle daily and the thought doesn't cross your mind that you might be killed; my thoughts to the person's family.

talking of holes on, since building of the Shard has commenced, the holes on Crucifix Lane/St Thomas's Street have become bigger and bigger. They've also coned off half of Crucifix Lane/St Thomas's Street so it is again down to a single lane. Impatient motorists then try and overtake. In addition, motorists coming through the Weston Street tunnel often do so without any regard to traffic/cylists passing as they're only interested in getting across the other side of Weston Street to go towards Long Lane.
urbanite Tuesday 9 March 2010 11.58am
The whole area is used by far too much through traffic...the roads are not suitable for it, often with large lorries and even coaches trying to navigate roads such as Weston, Leathermarket and Tanner Streets. Its a joke really and I have ranted about it before, only to hear from out of are drivers moan that they should be allowed access just to drive through. The roads are NOT SUITABLE for heavy traffic and it will lead to more accidents like this.
Sidney Tuesday 9 March 2010 1.09pm
Young lad. A 4th year medic.
The lorry went straight over him & killed him instantly.
So so sad.

Those hugh tipper trucks are driven so recklessly & I'm sure that they are not supposed to be using these side streets as runs.
KarenF Tuesday 9 March 2010 1.24pm
What an absolute tragedy!!

These lorries are a menace to everyone in this area. The drivers are rude, extremely aggressive and dangerous. This is the second death involving these huge lorries in the last 6 weeks round here.

I'm sick of this to be honest. They travel SOOO fast down these small roads without braking, they just put their hand on the horn and expect everyone to get out of their way.

I was in my car with my son when one of them tried literally pushing me off the road. My son was terrified but I am a very good driver and managed to swerve without hitting anyone else. If I hadn't we would have been crushed.

Why are these lorries allowed to go down these small roads??????
dee dee Tuesday 9 March 2010 1.27pm
I know long lane was solid this morning due to road works at the junction with Great Dover Street so this may have meant more traffic was using the back roads. These little roads are simply too small to cope with big vehicles -a lot of traffic at that junction ends up on the wrong side of the road or on the pavement. Such a tragic waste of a young life.
TAK Tuesday 9 March 2010 1.48pm
Terrible news, so sad.
I really wonder if there are many more accidents lately or is it more widely reported?

Really makes you think about cycling.....
urbanite Tuesday 9 March 2010 2.14pm
I live on Leathermarket Street and there are regular accidents but according to SC they do not affect their road traffic thinking/planning if the damage is only physical to other vehicles or buildings. Only when it happens to people do they affect their criteria for doing anything. Maybe they will start to take these things on board now that people are getting run down. When will these incredibly small side streets be limited to small (car) vehicles only, and then with a 20 speed limit properly enforced. The council has deliberatly engineered a policy encouraging "through" traffic with the reversal of Newcomen Street some years ago and the refusal to make tanner Street No Entry from Tower Bridge Road. It doesn't take rocket science to see why there is heavy traffic on these roads, or how to stop it.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions