London Drink Debate - SE1 have your say!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 12 March 2010 1.05pm
Hi,

The London Drink Debate is calling for Londoners to have their say on the impact of alcohol in their community. Over 79% of Londoners surveyed so far don't feel they have a say on tackling the problems of alcohol in the city.

Please take 5 minutes out of your day to complete our online survey at www.londondrinkdebate.co.uk.

Your feedback will be presented to key decision-makers to decide on how London tackles the impact of alcohol across the city in the future.

Thank you for your support,
London Drink Debate Team
Friday 12 March 2010 1.29pm
londondrinkdebate wrote:
Over 79% of Londoners surveyed so far don't feel they have a say on tackling the problems of alcohol in the city.

Possibly because alcohol strategy (whether it's needed or not) is being dealt with by quangos which most of us never hear about until it's all done and dusted, and measures are implemented "for our own good"?

Or possibly because of the way your survey is framed? The question on the survey asks: "Do you believe that you have a say in tackling the problems of alcohol in your community?" (or something very similar - forgive me if I've slightly misquoted, but I don't believe I've done so in any significant way).

Such a question presumes that there definitely IS a problem. Maybe I'm lucky, but (living within 100yds of at least two pubs and two off-licenses), I don't encounter any alcohol-related problems. Of course, there's no point in the survey at which I'm able to say that. The survey is predicated on us all agreeing that alcohol is an evil force which is having negative impacts on all of our daily lives. Which, for me, simply isn't true.

Biased surveys give biased answers. I presume there's some of our tax money funding this, and, working on that presumption, I have more of an issue with these kinds of shadowy bodies, pursuing who-knows-what fanatical agendas, than I've ever had with alcohol in my community.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 12 March 2010 2.23pm
I couldn't put it better at all Ivanhoe. I don't see any problems with drink in my sphere either...people may have issues with it but then...as ever...the problem is people and not alcohol.
Friday 12 March 2010 3.46pm
I had a look at the survey and agree with Ivanhoe, too.

I wanted to point out the alcohol problems that affect me most: that beer is terribly expensive here compared with other parts of the country, that it's difficult to get real ale after 11pm and that there's not enough seating in many pubs and bars, but they don't seem to be interested in these problems.

If other people can't handle their drink, and get rowdy and violent, there are already laws to deal with them which aren't enforced enough. I don't see why everyone's life should be made worse by these abstentionists.
Friday 12 March 2010 4.26pm
Ivanhoe, urbanite and Rambling Phil thank you all for your comments.

This feedback is important for the campaign to capture and we would be grateful if you could go through the questionnaire and complete with these comments.

Many thanks,
London Drink Debate Team
Friday 12 March 2010 9.22pm
I read an article the other day which stated that if you drink more than two glasses of wine per day you can seriously jeopardise your health. So that's it for me.......No more reading!
Sunday 14 March 2010 12.58pm
Very odd question about the respondents work. Seems to me to be categorised in to "professions" which have experience dealing with the problems of alcohol (four legs good), those who pimp for "big alcohol" (two legs bad) and the rest of us are "none of the above".

4. Please select the following professional area you work in

Please select the following professional area you work in

Health

Criminal justice

Alcohol industry

Alcohol retail

Education

Social care

Voluntary sector

None of the above
Monday 15 March 2010 9.43pm
In the nicest possible way "what a load of bollocks"

answering that questionnaire in no way would descride my views or thoughts on alcohol mis-use.

supermarkets selling it as a loss leader
corner stores selling to kids
drunks wandering the streets and hassling my customers.
the government trying to killed of the licenced trade.

just warming up.

cheers
phil

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: