Allotments, Rockingham Estate Gardening Club

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 14 March 2010 12.24pm
Hi there. We're looking to set up an Allotment/Gardening Club Scheme on the Rockingham Estate for residents. We have received funding from the council and I wondered if anyone was on here from the Rockingham Estate and if they wanted to get involved?
Zoe
Sunday 14 March 2010 2.06pm
We have raised beds as allotments at Styles, and they are really popular. It's been very effective in getting people together, who wouldn't otherwise ever talk. I hope your allotments are as succesful as ours have been.
Sunday 14 March 2010 7.32pm
We hope so too! Any advice or problems you've faced in the organising or setting up?
Sunday 14 March 2010 7.33pm
dronid - I guess you already know about what the Tabard Gardens folks have done, but if not, it might be worth contacting them to swap ideas/advice:

http://www.tabardgardens.org/allotment/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 14 March 2010 8.21pm
Thanks James, yes I'm already in contact and they've given great advice. Now I need to get the residents involved - going to do a maildrop and hopefully get something in Southwark Life. All advice gratefully accepted!
Sunday 14 March 2010 9.40pm
Excellent news, i have seen and know people who have been planting vegetables in the rockingham on the back green lawn. I myself will be interested in one.

It will be very popular, please give more info.

Well done for securing the funding.
Monday 15 March 2010 11.35am
James, I loved to see the children all enjoying themselves on the Tabard allotment site, it just proves kids always enjoy being out in the open and playing with soil,shovels and being part of the community like that is bound to help them develop good social skills, and they can eat after!
Monday 15 March 2010 1.22pm
I live in Albert Barnes. Are we eligible to join in your scheme? It's a brilliant idea.
Monday 15 March 2010 3.27pm
It's good to hear it's wanted!

It is planned for the Rockingham Estate at the moment but it's something we can request to be expanded. If there is space unallocated we'd be happy to have you LilaSE1. In addition there's funding for a 'meadow' at the church hall opposite and there is green space next to your block that hopefully won't be built all over. Do you have your own Residents Association?

Ideally I want to see the unaccessed green space all over the estates to be put in the hands of residents - for growing food or other purposes - currently a lot of the space is just used for people to take their dogs to do what comes naturally and while there should be some space set aside for that, I think we can do more!
Monday 15 March 2010 5.08pm
Yes we have a TRA, which I am secretary of. We've put in a Cleaner Greener Safer applic for the remaining green space at the side of the block, hoping to turn it into some kind of community garden.

Where are you planning to have your allotments? Do you know where the funding came from for the planned meadow?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: