New novel set in SE1 (London Bridge)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 17 March 2010 2.10pm
Hi there,

Just wanted to let anyone who is interested know about my novel 'Foolish Lessons in Life and Love' by Penny Rudge. It has just been published by Abacus, and is set in SE1 - the main character, Taras, and his mother live behind London Bridge station. It's been praised as 'deeply impressive and highly enjoyable' by former Poet Laureate Andrew Motion. I thought that some fellow-SE1ers might like to know about it!
Penny
Wednesday 17 March 2010 4.10pm
Great, thanks Penny! Always good to know local authors & read about our neighbourhood. Did you know that this forum has its very own book club? Michelle Lovric came & spoke to us once we had read "The Remedy". We could put your book on the reading list & perhaps you would come & meet us? See the Socials section of this forum for details of where & when we meet.
Wednesday 17 March 2010 5.11pm
I've just popped on to Amazon and a copy is on its way to me Penny. Looking forward to reading it.
Thursday 18 March 2010 3.29am
Thank you both! I'd be very happy to come to a book club event and talk about it. There is also a printable 'Reading Group Guide' for the book which you might be interested in. It's downloadable from the Little, Brown website at http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Blog/March-2010-(1)/Printable-Reading-Group-Guide-for-Foolish-Lessons-

Penny
Jac
Thursday 18 March 2010 8.28am
Penny that would be brilliant. I am sure I am not talking out of line and that the book club would want to take you up on that offer, we really enjoyed meeting Michelle and feel very honoured that authors will come and talk to us. I shall PM you with my contact details and see if we can start to sort things out as this would be too good and offer to miss out on.
Thursday 18 March 2010 9.00am
Thanks Jac - am responding to your PM by email now. Penny
Thursday 18 March 2010 7.54pm
Congratulations, Penny. Good luck with the novel,I hope it sells millions! You've achieved what I have only dreampt about. I will certainly obtain a copy. Please excuse my ignorance, but is it your first novel?
I once had pretentions about writing and, in a small way, still do. But I could never find the time to read, and everyone tells me that I cannot even think about writing if I don't read. I'm sure they're right. As Harold wilson once said, "The majority can't be wrong."
Thursday 18 March 2010 9.18pm
Thanks Chalkey. Yes, it's my first published novel. Working on the second at the moment. There are as many different ways to write as there are writers, so don't be put off.
Penny x
Friday 19 March 2010 9.05am
chalkey wrote:
I once had pretentions about writing and, in a small way, still do. But I could never find the time to read, and everyone tells me that I cannot even think about writing if I don't read. I'm sure they're right. As Harold wilson once said, "The majority can't be wrong."
I've heard several writers say they don't read much or anything. Stop making excuses. Write more.
Friday 19 March 2010 9.25am
Penny/Beetroot, thanks for the encouragement. I have had other of the same in the past when I've mentioned writing. I suppose I am making a pretty feeble excuse when I say I've found being a househusband more time consuming than I thought it would be. There's always a few half-baked bits of writing lying around here at home. For example, there's a radio play I've been working on based on my parents struggle to get us out of a dreadful old tenement back in the early 1950's, and a series of short stories based on my life experiences. When I do write I tend to do it in short bursts during the winter months and then put it away for the summer. When I dig it out again I tend to be over critical and start again. The ideal solution would be to shut myself away in a garret for a few months andf crack on, but that's just not possible. How did you manage it, Penny?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: