Free historic Ordnance Survey-type maps

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 23 March 2010 2.05pm
Apologies if this has already been raised, but I stumbled across the site below at lunchtime whilst researching Pickle Herring Street and other long-lost parts of SE1. This site has free maps for SE1 (and most of London/the UK) from the 1500s up to 1908 and later. If you like this sort of thing (as I do), then it's great. Saves buying them and I think they're easier to look at on the computer screen. Shocking to see how much the area has changed, even since 1908.

http://archivemaps.com/mapco/london.htm
Wednesday 24 March 2010 2.00pm
I have to say that these are fascinating. I'm based on the Rockingham Estate and it's interesting to see that both Meadow Row and Rockingham Row exist back as far as 1795 - both off New Road, now New Kent Road (marked as Providence B) and in the middle of what's listed as Peachy Gardens!
Wednesday 24 March 2010 2.59pm
Loving this site....soooooo interesting seeing the change of the area....can't stop scrolling around
Wednesday 24 March 2010 4.31pm
Yes, it's great, isn't it? Thanks a lot, Gavin. Did anyone notice the "vinyard" just off the Sth Bank?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 24 March 2010 4.35pm
I'm just pleased (and relieved!) to see that I'm not the only one into this sort of thing.
Wednesday 24 March 2010 5.15pm
I am totally addicted to that site.. thanks Gavin. It is interesting to see the changes in street layout due to the railway lines out to the southeast... and the war presumably, where old areas were changed into estates. I am a little disappointed to not find the original name for Milton Street (in the city off Chiswell St) - only it's middle incarnation as Grub Street... it's a naughty name referring to the manhandling of ladies bits!!! I had hoped to prove to my antipodean mates that it actually existed.
Wednesday 24 March 2010 9.35pm
I have just lost an evening! absolutely facinating thanks so much for letting me (and everyone else) know about this site. I think the vinyard was to do with the vinegar factory on the Southbank.
Thursday 25 March 2010 10.46am
But, Moira, do you not think that they must have made the vin, in order to make the vin aigre?

(I've got a romantic notion of the rolling terraced vineyards of Chateau South Bank, and I don't want to be convinced out of it, just because it probably isn't true ;0))

Thursday 25 March 2010 1.09pm
Ivanhoe, fancy a bit of Chateau Lambeth then?!? I think that it was made into vinegar, at a time when people may not have been as discerning as ourselves, says it all!
Thursday 25 March 2010 2.35pm
Moira

I've long had a vision of SE1 being one giant cider orchard, with us all living in little cottages sprinkled amongst the fruit-laden boughs. And then I tend to get woken up by sirens and helicopters, and find that it was all a dream ;0(

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: