Secondary Schools

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 23 March 2010 8.13pm
Does anyone on this forum have children or know children that go to Stockwell Park Highschool? I know it's not SE1, but I am SE1 resident and my child has been offered a place there. Of course we visited the school etc. but lately we have been hearing contradictory feedback, so we are not really sure anymore what to think. Any feedback, good or bad is appreciated.
Wednesday 24 March 2010 12.08pm
I don't know the school so I can't advise. However, I am a teacher and this is the advice I always give when anyone asks me about a school: Go to the school 3 times; once in the morning, once at lunch time and once after school, and watch what goes off. How many are arriving late, are they in a hurry? If there are lots of kids; then it might indicate problems in attitude of pupils or lack of control by staff. How many pupils are leaving the premises at lunch-time? Are they allowed? If not; what does this tell you? At the end of the day, do the pupils leave in an orderly fashion? Is there a member of staff supervising? These things indicate attitude of pupils, and effective management of a school. In my opinion this is all that is important. Most secondary schools have the same curriculum and resources; some schools are in better condition than others, but it is the staff and pupils that make a school successful - or not!
Tuesday 30 March 2010 7.44pm
I dont know the school in detail but do live nearby. It had a dubious reputation as a 'sink school' but I think it has had an amazing head with very positive attitude for a number of years. I think she's done good things with a good team for an innercity school - that maybe why she's got an MBE and its ofsted reports are improving and there is a lot of building work going on (I think maybe they are building a swimming pool). what i notice is that the children pour in and out (relatively) quietly and well-behaved, and like previous poster says, that speaks volumes

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: