Vandalised cars.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 25 March 2010 7.50pm
Cars in Milroy Walk, Stamford Street, Broadwall and Upper Ground were vandalised today in the early hours of the morning.
Damage consisted of windscreen wipers being snapped off or bent into an unusable shape. Wing mirrors broken off. In fact, anything that could be twisted or snapped of the cars, was.
The police did respond to a 999 call, but failed to apprehend the person concerned. By all accounts it was one person.
The best bit is that police have failed to respond to the car owners who have in most cases sustained considerable damage.
It seems that all the police are there for is to hand out crime numbers.
Thursday 25 March 2010 8.13pm
We had something similiar; wing mirrors stolen from over 30 cars - police refused to attend. That was in Fair Street about six months ago. Same MO. My mirrors cost over 120 alone, soimagine the total cost of the damage.
Thursday 25 March 2010 9.19pm
I suspect forensics only turn out for murders or they might catch too many people. But, considering this persons fingerprints would have been on all the vandalised parts of the many cars, maybe, just maybe they might have someone to look for.
The ferocity of the attack had to be seen, to be believed.
Friday 26 March 2010 2.26pm
did anyone take photo's? did you? put them up somewhere, and link to them, I'd be interested in seeing how bad it was.

are there any CCTV cameras that would have recorded the incident? maybe we could find one, and get access to the tapes (?digital record?)

If the police can't (won't) solve crime, maybe the local citizens can!?
Friday 26 March 2010 3.14pm
There is strong reason to believe that the introduction of "conviction rates" and related performance measures has an adverse affect on police showing up for something they are unlikely to solve. Similarly if they do find whoever it did and the chances of a conviction are low they are highly unlikely to want to do the masses and masses of paperwork because they only get rubbished for it by their paymasters....

To be fair, I can't even blame them
Friday 26 March 2010 4.40pm
this is true, Tattie, but I think that's where society goes wrong. Everything has to be quantified these days, from conviction/crime rates to NHS costs, policing costs, education costs, etc. Although money should of course be spent diligently, police/schools/hospitals should not be run as businesses and spending should instead be directed by demand.

Going back to the subject matter though, the response from the police was useless in my particular case. Despite there being 30 to 40 cars having suffered the same damage (and I know one of the Merc owners reckoned it was going to cost him just short of 500 to replace his wing mirrors), the police refused to attend and said that I should drive the car to Camberwell police station at 9am on a Monday morning (impossible for those of us who work) for forensic testing to be done. However, they warned me that in doing so, I would be committing a criminal offence since it is a legal requirement for cars to have at least one wing mirror where they were originally designed with one!

I think power to the people is definitely the way to go. Any CCTV footage should be made available so that stills can be made and displayed. Naming and shaming is the way forward!
Friday 26 March 2010 5.13pm
Am not sure if the police is not interested in anything. We had our bike stolen 6 month ago and reported it to the police and I also thought, they do not have any time for this.
A month ago two policemen were standing in front of our door and wanted to have some signature of us as they found the people they have done the theft.

This is not an excuse for what happened, but I think sometimes they do their job and we should not always blame them.
Friday 26 March 2010 10.35pm
My garage took some pictures for insurance purposes. To be honest, I don't think a picture of a street full of cars would have done it justice, as the cars did not have damage to the actual body. The removal of the wing mirrors and windscreen wipers was not, at first noticeable, as one would expect, unless one was the owner of said vehicle.

It will be interesting to see what CCTV is available. I have been told that the cameras on top of the Oxo are of such poor quality that they are worse then useless. I am also led to believe that they are not for the benefit of the local people.

Does anyone know who has overall responsibility for the streets in this area in regard to CCTV provision? What I mean is, is it Coin Street Community Builders, South Bank Employers Group or (hopefully) the local council as the first two are pretty useless and unaccountable to boot.

I think the lack of interest displayed by the police in this matter does not surprise anyone I have spoken too. That is the true tragedy. But what beggars belief, is that a man could go on a rampage from Milroy Walk to the London Eye and not get caught.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: