Life in South London - We was all One... 1970s

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 25 March 2010 11.29pm
Interesting documentary from 1970s about South London, covers the new haygate estate too.. shown on ITV in 1972 Thames TV- Documentary portraying the lives people in the area during the 1960s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-DS-Gd70w&feature=player_embedded#

Part 1 of 5 (the other parts can be found on youtube too!)
Jac
Friday 26 March 2010 11.36am
Thanks for the link well worth watching. I love the singing Marigold girls.
Friday 26 March 2010 1.17pm
Thanks thats was bloody good watching that
mal
Friday 26 March 2010 2.47pm
thank you so much for putting this thread on. After watching the beginning I though it looked good.I didn't realise just how much better it got. As I watched further on till the part of East Lane, I found myself looking and listening at my Uncle George on his drinks stall selling his sarsparilla. Behind him, my 2 aunts. OMG it was just like yesterday. Thanks you so much again.
mal
Friday 26 March 2010 2.50pm
Thank you so much. Found myself looking and listening to my Uncle George on his drinks stall, selling his sarsparilla down East Lane. \behind him were my 2 aunts. All have passed on many years ago.
Friday 26 March 2010 3.55pm
I've wanted to see this since I first heard about it -thanks for the link
Friday 26 March 2010 5.42pm
Perhaps the community film club will have it on again?
Friday 26 March 2010 5.51pm
Great link, thanks, Hmeah. Some of those shots I've seen before, but not all. I recognised a few good old faces there. It's also opened up some great options to view other links from the same and earlier eras, which I will wade through over time.
Mal, you must mean Georgie Barnes? His daughter was one of our groupe who hung around East Lane back in the early 1960's. I think her name was Christine.
I guess she must be your cousin?
Friday 26 March 2010 5.58pm
Is the face from East St still there - he looks familiar, and Draper House at 8'52" is filthy dirty - it could have only been up a few years!
mal
Friday 26 March 2010 6.34pm
Yes.It was Georgie Barnes. It's so sad, as when George died, that was the last we heard from Christine and her sister Sylvia. We do know that Christine developed M.S. but don't know what became of her and of Sylvia. When I was about 6-7 possibly younger, I remember going to a lock-up that george had.My mum and I used to wash the old labels off the bottles, rinse them out and stick the new labels on. There seemed to be hundreds of those bottles. Georgies motto: IF YOU WANT TO LIVE FOREVER, YOU MUST DRINK MY SARSPARILLA.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: