Southwark almost accolade..

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 26 March 2010 7.27am
Despite being woken up in the early hours again by a refuse vehicle parked up for 10/15 minutes in New Kent Road near the Driscoll house subway I honestly feel Southwark Council does a good job.

As a matter of fact in the Yours magazine which of course all you youngsters here will never have heard of! there is a positve thumbs up for Southwark providing meals on wheels, they provide daily hot meal delivery, bulk delivery of frozen meals , lunch and day centres, meals for different cultures. Before my husband went into a nursing home he had the frozen ones delivered and I can vouch for them, they were good. Many councils accross the country are not a patch on them it seems. One council suggest that the elderly rely on 'fast food shops'.

Anyway waffling on as is my wont, reading the bbc news this morning I was horrified to see that 132 Housing Officers were sent on One Day Training courses so they could access fire risk in properties on their 'patch'. These courses were held by London Fire Brigade, but obviously no way supposed to replace a properly trained Fire Officer.

Did they inspect Lakanal House? and for a year the council used these housing officers to inspect property, my giddy aunt. With all due respect to the various Housing officers, none of them would have the skill that a surveyor would have. What you get is what you pay for. In my old sister in laws flat the condensation and damp that was evident in her kitchen was caused by her having the window shut, despite the damp coming up from the floor according to the Estate officer, it turned out to be an un connected pipe under the bath!

I think when this becomes known Southwarks insurers can stand by to receive even more claims.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network