Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Thursday 18 March 2004 1.14pm
and another thing while i'm here...

apparently the tennis courts off bermondsey street are being renovated, does anyone know if the work has started? i emailed the council and was told they wouldn't be finished until may which is a bit depressing.

if anyone else has any information or secret tips about where to play tennis around here please would you let me know. i've been playing at the indoor tennis centre in caledonian road this winter but it is a real hassle booking up and the courts are 16 an hour which is a bit harsh.

Thursday 18 March 2004 1.15pm
there is somewhere in Lambeth near where the Archbishop lives I think... (not very helpful, sorry)
Thursday 18 March 2004 1.40pm
Southwark park has some tennis courts. in quite good condition.
Thursday 18 March 2004 1.41pm
The tennis courts are still being renovated and the resurfacing seemed to have finished last week. Haven't seen anyone working on them this week though...maybe theyre having a rest?

Thursday 18 March 2004 2.13pm
surface seems to have been done... waiting for the lines to be painted on... am still hopefull that they use different colours for inside the court.

Thursday 18 March 2004 8.09pm
There are no tennis courts in Tennis St and no bowling in Bowling Green Place.
Friday 19 March 2004 9.33am
Re. Bermondsey Street courts: May! Cripes! Why the delay?

The surfacing seems finished; there really doesn't seem that much more to do. I agree, Kyliedog, no one seems to be doing much work on them this week ...

That said, the park and the courts really do look lovely now. So open and welcoming. Tra-la-la.
Friday 19 March 2004 9.58am

As I understand it, the surface of a tennis court needs to cure after it has been laid. I understand that the curing period is one month so May looks like a realistic target. Just in time for Wimbledon fever.

The tennis courts look pretty good now, certainly they will be rather more predictable than the old surface. I'm also impressed with the work that has gone on around the edge of the courts. Maybe we can look forward to the re-instatement of the five aside pitch at the back of the courts themselves. How about flooodlighting?

All in all, Tanner St Park is a wonderful resource and, as someone who has the pleasure of looking out onto it, maybe now even a thing of beauty.

And for all you tennis nuts, check out the courts at the back of Addington Square, on the edge of Burgess Park. More facilities. Fantastic.

Volleys and dropshots

Sunday 21 March 2004 10.06am
Two OK courts in Archbishops. A coach is around Saturday mornings with classes for kids and adults.

Not sure about booking. Lambeth seem to be on the point of firing their parks staff (they say they are expectiong their redundancy notices on Monday and that they will be gone by 1 April) so........

My expectation is that when the park is no longer staffed, vandalism will increase and there will be noone to nag Lambeth to do maintenance, so use the OK courts while you can.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 3.03pm

oooh, thankyou for all that information regarding lines and curing etc, does anyone have any news about the annoying trees that get in the way of my skillfull lobs?

i am also hoping that new and improved courts doesn't mean that they are going to lock them up and charge us lots of money.

i'm pleased that so many people are interested in tennis things, maybe we should get together and play some games when it is done, would anyone like to?

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: