Self defence/personal safety classes?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 29 March 2010 10.23am
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a self defence and/or personal safety classes in the area? I came into rather too close contact with (what i can only assume was) a homeless man whilst out for a walk on the Bermondsey bit of the Thames Path yesterday, so want to be able to feel a lot more confident whilst out and about!

I'm more around Waterloo, but am happy to travel :O)

(Also, thanks to the kind gentleman from near Rotherhithe who kept me company while i waited for the crazy man to leave thea area. No idea if he'll read this, but just in case)

Thanks clever SE1 team xx
Monday 29 March 2010 10.59am
Hi DS,

If you're in Waterloo then the Colombo Centre is an excellent place, its subsidised for locals too and, they have regular classes of all sorts there, its recently had a massive refurb so might take another week or two before everything is back in sync.

Also, the Tokei Centre near Tooley Street @ London Bridge has an excellent martial arts centre.

There is also CityBoxer near Union Street ( don't be averse to boxing, its probably the best thing you could do for improving confidence and becoming physical as opposed to learning 100 fixed martial arts movements which would serve little in real world application against someone stronger )

Good luck.
Monday 29 March 2010 12.25pm
Hi Daisy

Thanks for sharing, and you're wise to be careful. Just to flag up, last night/this morning (@ 12:45 a.m.) my husband popped out for a quick walk, he was in front of the GLA looking out onto the river, went under Tower BRidge and was attacked at knife-point by 2 young males. He was punched and threatened with the knife, and then walked over to the Cash-point just at Cafe AMano and had to hand over 250 in cash, (knife to neck) and luckily escaped intact after that. It could have been much worse, and it could have been any of us! Nothing like this has happened in the time we've lived on Tooley Street and everyone needs to know what's happened. They were obviously working as part of a team and according to my husband, (who is a big guy) seemed fairly intent on violence. They must have been standing in the stairway (coming down to the riverside-level from Tower Bridge ) and waited for someone to approach and grab them under the bridge bit.

Everyone be careful!!
AD
Monday 29 March 2010 12.36pm
My wife undertook a self defense course at CityLit off Kingsway, just over Waterloo Bridge. There are loads of courses available there and we've found them very professional.
Monday 29 March 2010 1.09pm
However if people have knives and are armed, how do we deal with self-defense then? It becomes much trickier.

sonia ali
sonia@open.coop
twitter/soniaafroz

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network