St Georges Day & World Cup 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 29 March 2010 2.40pm
I know we're not yet in April but does anyone know of any pubs/bars in SE1 who are doing anything for St Georges Day especially as it falls on a Friday this year? A few places near me had extended opening hours and special menus etc for St Patricks but as we're in England was wondering if anyone was doing anything for our Saints day. I remember when I was a child quite a few of the pubs in SE1/SE16 did something like a BBQ or live music & even a bouncy castle for the kids but those pubs have sadly gone.

While we are on the subject (I know some pub landlords are on here) are there any plans for BBQs during the world cup? For me nothing beats a beer and burger while watching the footie especially if the sun is shining. I usually go Doggett's to watch the footie and they have a BBQ but was shocked to discover last week that they have closed their sports bar and turned it into another restaurant!
Monday 29 March 2010 3.34pm
Step this way Steph.

St Georges Day at The Crown means, ale tastings, sommerset cider tastings, yorkshire pudding, mash and suffolk pork sausages for dinner, followed by West Country cheeses.

We will also have a couple of Greek dishes and Lebanese wines as well as St George is also their patron saint.

our BBQ's start after may bank hol , these are bookable for functions of 15+ persons

we will be showing all the world cup matches and will be a " home" venue for the following countries with promos on their beers

Estrella beer = Spain
VB = Australia
Steinlager = New Zealand
Corona = Mexico
peroni = italy

If you have any questions, please just give us a call

cheers
Phil @ the Crown , Blackfriars rd
Monday 29 March 2010 5.42pm
Phil, do you do Stella? (Sorry to the purists who only do real ale!)
Monday 29 March 2010 5.43pm
Phil, do you do Stella. - Sorry to the purists who only do real ale!)
Monday 29 March 2010 7.13pm
Phil, this is just another thread that makes me feel homesick. I can just imagine the atmosphere at your place on special occasions. One of these days I'm gonna have a long weekend in 'sarf lunden' and make up for lost time. Like many ex-pats, when I lived in south London I took it for granted. But I've been gone 41 years this September, and I still miss it. I know a lot of the nostalgia is for the south London I left behind, which is so different to the one of today. But, when I do pop back on the occasional sentimental journey, there is still something in the air.
As for the beer, lager?......ughhh! Beer is no good unless you can chew it!! Bring on the real ale!
Monday 29 March 2010 9.15pm
Sorry Gavin no Stella.

Chalkey , I know what you mean, when i go back to earls court, I barely know the place, the prince of teck is nothing like it used to be.

just kidding. when i got here back in the 90's it was a very different place than today.

regardless of the types of pubs i have. i still personally like a proper boozer where i can wear whatever i like, i can stand at the bar, and drink as much ale as i like and the ashtrays come out as soon as the curtains are pulled. sadly there is not many like that left. definatly none of our pubs.

as for real ale. flavour of the day is adnams bitter. having a jug of it now and its tasting fine.

cheers
phil
Monday 29 March 2010 9.47pm
Phil, wish I was there lifting one with you. Adnam's...good. Abbott..even better. Old Peculier.....
Pure nectar!
Down the neck!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: