Easter parade

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 30 March 2010 11.52am
Hi does anyone know if the easter parade still takes place in battersea park?
Tuesday 30 March 2010 4.44pm
According to 'London.Net' it does, which is a pleasant surprise. The last one I saw there was in the early 1950's. Back then the water gardens were still there from the Festival of Britain, along with the Guinness clock, the tree walk and of course the funfair.
Wednesday 31 March 2010 5.34am
and all the hats with the eggs and chicks on Chalkey, I remember going with an Auntie and seeing some children with chocolate Easter eggs, I am not sure if sweets were still rationed or perhaps had just come of rationing, so felt like pinching them...
Wednesday 31 March 2010 8.00am
Yes, Jan, I remmeber those hats. Quite spectacular some of them. I have a photo here at home of me as a five year-old, at Battersea Park on Easter Sunday 1952. holding hands with two prety young ladies who were both dressed as Nell Gwynn and carrying baskets of oranges. Hopefully those ladies are still enjoying life, they would be in their eighties by now.
I'm sure rationing was still on at that time, because I can clearly remember my mum buying me sweets in Morrish's in Manor Place and handing over her ration book.
Wednesday 31 March 2010 8.04am
I always took my 2 children and they loved it,
now would love to take my grandaughter, its still a nice park to go to even if its not on
Wednesday 31 March 2010 8.18am
I used to fish the lake there back in the early 1960's, it wasn't much cop, but nice surroundings. I took a girlfriend there in the summer of 1968 when the had an exhibition on of all things Scandinavian. I also used to train at the athletics track there and represented my youth club in 1963 in the National Association of Boys Clubs championships. I got a bronze medal for the sprint relay, thanks to the lad in front of me dropping his baton.
I couldn't run a bath now!
Friday 2 April 2010 3.26pm
It doesn't take much these days to prompt me in to a bit of self indulgent, sentimental nostalgia.
I've just been on 'YouTube,' (www.youtube.co.uk, for those who've never used it,) and typed in 'Festival of Britain.' There's some lovely stuff on there about the 1951 exhibition, including some lovely footage of Batersea Park where, believe it or not, there's a cameo of one of those very same 'Nell Gwynne' girls I mentioned above. Brought a tear to this old fool's eye.
Who says nostalgia isn't what it used to be?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: