Val Shawcross

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10
Wednesday 7 April 2010 4.31pm
Val Shawcross has come up with 12 key issues for her first term as MP: My question is, where were her key issues before she decided to run as a Labour Prospective MP for Bermondsey & Old Southwark?

She has been on the GLA for many years, and she did bugger all for the constituency then; and she still works there. I have seen her turn up to the odd meeting, but it is a real shame that only now has she taken a keen interest in our area.

There is no reason whatsoever that she couldn't have said, over the many years at the GLA, that she wants to see particular benefits brought to our area. Just because she was not the MP doesn't prevent her from getting involved.

After all, Simon Hughes is our MP and he has done very little over a 27 year period as 'our' MP. He hasn't done anything really bad, but I can't see where he has done anything really great either; especially for the majority.

I might be overly critical, but when I walk around my ward of South Bermondsey and the constituency, I have to wonder why we pay our taxes.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Wednesday 7 April 2010 4.48pm
Um, James, aren't there rules about candidates using the forum for overt political campaigning during election time?
I have never heard anyone say that Simon Hughes has done very little as our MP - I've never known an MP work so hard!
And I object to your swearing too.
You won't be getting my vote, Mr Bland!
Wednesday 7 April 2010 4.48pm
And the party you are standing for must be the Conservatives i guess as you did not slag them off?
Wednesday 7 April 2010 5.20pm
At least Simon Hughes isn't bland.
Wednesday 7 April 2010 5.56pm
Gary - you may have missed Val Shawcross's work on local public transport issues that many people contributed to through this very forum.

And Simon Hughes's workrate is legendary.

It might be more productive to present positive reasons to vote for yourself or your party rather than take this approach.
Wednesday 7 April 2010 5.58pm
Well said people!
I was getting a bit bored of Mr Bland taking over various forum topics with his obvious and 'bland' campaigning!
Wednesday 7 April 2010 6.01pm
Dear Betty

I was sorry to read you feel that way. We all voice comments based on our views and my comments are my views based on my experiences living in South Bermondsey.

The use of the phrase 'bugger all' is not swearing, and again it is a phrase I wanted to use, because it describes how I feel. If you feel it is a swear word then it is your opinion and I am very pleased you have a platform to voice your opinion, but you must also allow me to voice my views or opinions too. If you only want to read what you believe to be true then there are no doubt many places you can go.

As for my comment about Simon Hughes, it's my opinion. I live and have lived in South Bermondsey for many years and I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I can see no benefit to the ward by having Simon Hughes, or any of the LibDem councillors for that matter; have you been to The Blue? I remember when it was buzzing week in week out.

As for Dee Dee's comment about "...and the party you are standing for must be the Conservatives i guess as you did not slag them off?", Dee Dee is correct. But I didn't hide the fact I am a Conservative. I was not making a snide comment or political point on the quiet. I gave my name and a link to my website which says I am a local Conservative.

The reason I didn't slag the Conservatives is simple, and as Simon Hughes quite rightly pointed out in a recent leaflet, "..the Conservatives haven't been in power since before the Second World War". I believe in my ward it is well over a 100 years. As this is the truth, how could I "slag" the Conservatives off; quite simply, they have not been in power in the constituency and therefore they cannot be blamed for the appalling record. Who do you feel should accept the responsibility?

For example: The Communities and Local Government Department releases many interesting analysis documents. One of these is the Child Well-being Index. The latest results (2009) demonstrate how Southwark's treatment of our children is disgraceful.

Southwark's Rank out of all 354 Authority Districts in the UK can be seen below. Rank 1 is the best, rank 354 is the worst:

• Children in need - 345th
• Environment - 350th
• Housing - 344th
• Crime - 326th
• Education - 268th
• Health & Disability - 241st
• Material Well-being - 347th

The Average Child Well-being Rank is 350th out of 354.

Are you seriously telling me we should be proud of Simon Hughes? 27 years of Simon Hughes and three LibDem councils, and our children continue to suffer.

How can anyone vote labour or LibDem? The LibDems did takeover a crock from Labour, but they haven't improved the well-being of our children or the quality of services and life for the residents to where it should be.

I am not saying Simon is not a hard working MP, in fact Simon works very hard, but he spends most of his time working for the LibDems in his Executive position, which take him all over the country and overseas too.

Take care

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Wednesday 7 April 2010 6.15pm
Gary - you do realise that your party has been running Southwark Council in coalition with the Lib Dems for the past 4 years, right?!

Indeed you comment on Southwark's low rating for housing - the executive member for housing is a Conservative.
Zoe
Wednesday 7 April 2010 7.40pm
I think we're very lucky with both Simon Hughes and Val Shawcross as representatives, and it's hard to make a choice between them. To suggest they do nothing is really unfair on them.

Also, if you're a Tory you should state that when you post, this is like companies that punt themselves pretending to be customers, I forget what it's called but it's bad!
Wednesday 7 April 2010 8.36pm
I personally think this years issues for me is which party will screw me the least. ( as opposed which would be the best for me)

im struggling to think of something recent that a local mp has done that impacts me directly at all.

mybe im just looking in the wrong places.

I know i have to vote otherwise i have no recourse to moan.
who to vote for is a tough one!

eeni meni mini mo...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: