Ujima Housing Association

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 8 April 2010 1.03pm
Just as well Southwark refused the above association permission to be involved in the demolition of our Driscoll House.

In todays bbc news, one of their employees has done a runner with a fraud charge for 200,000 over his head..and the Ujima association made MULTI-MILLION POUND LOSSES in 2007..and was taken over by London and Quadrant in 2008..

so thats my next question how can a minority housing association be run so badly to incur such massive loss? and who's paying for taxpayers money to be handed out so freely without any audit etc..
Thursday 8 April 2010 1.42pm
It's a real scandal all right. If you havent seen it already you might find this interesting:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/whall/?id=2008-05-06b.228.0
Thursday 8 April 2010 5.47pm
Neil, as you know I am one of these irritating people who have to comment on anything, even the weather..

But I am totally dumbstruck by that link..to have a totally unqualified Finance Director employed, was there no checks on anyone in positions of power? Even a cleaner has to provide a c.v....

And for all the incredible money poured into sustaining an organisation which effectively segregates people on the housing waiting list, how many tenancies/properties were there?

Why were whistleblowers given the sack...why did no external managers think that some distinctly dodgy dealings were going on?

Mr Dhanda comments about transferring the ujima to another black and ethnic minority housing organisation made me see red.

If someone needs a roof over their head, they need a roof whether they are white,black,pink or green, perhaps as stated people today have been so brainwashed into thinking if they criticise an organisation and the organisation is not from Britain, once Great Britain, they are construed as racist.

Those staff who were decent people must feel gutted over their warnings being ignored, I wonder if they managed to keep their jobs when London and Quadrant took ujima over.

December 2006.. Two Hundred Million pounds missing/misplaced whatever..why no action taken then!

Oddly enough a bell rang loud and clear about this organisation I posted years ago about them.just checked...sept.2005

Sorry Neil I told you I was dumbstruck,...:-(
Friday 9 April 2010 9.58am
I have no idea about the underlying aims of the housing association and why it was felt appropriate to set it up at all (it could well be that there are complex housing issues that pass me by completely). But certainly the scale of criminality / corruption / incompetence in this case was as depressing as it was breathtaking. Private Eye have been reporting on it over the years but only ever snippets at a time, seeing it all put together just beggars belief.
Friday 9 April 2010 11.37am
Absoulutely appalling. Unfortunatly with my experience with the Housing Corporation now the TSA as a body is they constantly fail to take action, when scandals like this and others not so dramatic are flagged up originaly. The TSA will not respond to individuel queries or complaints re a H.A.??Equally the Housing Ombudsman re tenants matters has no effect. A case will take at least two years to start to be investigated, a two years in which all sorts can happens. They will however only investigate the original complaint and not that subsequent aftermath. In which time usually more problems have arised, so it is a vicious circle. The findings are called 'guidelines' with no enforcement. So all pointless.Apparently according to the TSA there are new laws coming in this year( I don't know if that means enforcement or govonment just talking about it) re the management/corruption in Housing Asc's .

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: