dustcarts with engines running!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 9 April 2010 8.16am
I am fed up of complaining to southwark about the dustcarts parking up near the sub-way at Driscoll house with their bloody engines running..between 2.40 and 3.05 am...the drone wakes you up and even trying to stuff a pillow over your head does not stop the noise. I have sent an e-mail to the complaints department and if that does not work to whom should I address my next line of enquiry?

Why should a dustcart park up at that time anyway? why not down Mandela way where there is no residential property near by..What about the environmental issues, pollution etc..

Rant and moan over, but I could not back to sleep again this morning at five past three!
Friday 9 April 2010 9.48am
Jan, I think a lot of honchos at a lot of Councils are taking money on false pretences. I don't know how some of them keep their jobs. I am not an habitual complainer, but I have had cause to contatct my local Council over the years over certain issues.
Dustcarts in my area are a law unto themselves. I can't speak for every area, but in my own they are arrogant beyond belief. If you get stuck behind one on collection day then you can be behind them for the duration. Even when there are ample gaps at the sides of the roads for them to pull in to when they have a convoy of frustrated motorists behind them, they never do. They just sit in the middle of the road and crawl along at two miles an hour, stopping and starting. Last week I was heading down one of the local roads and a dustcart was coming towards me. I had no choice but to pull to one side and then when he reached me he sat parralel to me, so I couldn't move. Had he gone five yards further on I could have proceeded, but no. He sat there while his colleagues picked up the bags from either side of the road, all the while deliberately avoiding my eye contact. I have also complained about certain local residents putting their rubish sacks out on the evening before collection day, rather than on the morning. These sacks get ripped apart by urban foxes and the resultant rubbish is left strewn accross the pavements. It is not, I have been informed, the binmen's job to pick it up and so it remains there until the road sweeper comes a couple of days later. Why the Council cannot synchronise the sweepers to visit areas on the day of their collection is a mystery to me. The residents concerned, (and it is the same ones every week,) live in the rented properties around the corner from me. They don't pick it up because they obviously don't care enough about the local invironment as it is, for them, probably only a temporary address. The Council employ so called 'Road Inspectors,' for this sort of thing, but nothing is ever done about it. So what do these inspecors actually do to earn their money? My last complaint was about the parking on the double yellow lines around the side streets near my house. When I collect various members of my family from the station between 7.30 and 9 p.m. there are always cars parked not only on the double yellow lines on the corners, but also directly opposite the T-junctions. Visibility is severly restricted and so is manouvreing. Not only is this an accident waiting to happen, but if an emergency services vehicle had to attend in one of those streets, they would not be able to. I was informed by the Council that it is not their policy to enforce the double yellow lines. (which do in fact mean no parking at any time,) after 6.30 p.m. What a farce. But of course, nothing will be done until such a situation arises and possibly, but heaven forbid, a life is lost.
Friday 9 April 2010 10.36am
went to see this last night and it was Fantastic!. No idea why the critics got so sniffy about it. yes, it is unconventional, yes the subject matter is not very cheery (mental illness - bi-polar)but it is not a dark, depressing play. The casting and acting are superb, the production and staging excellent. Mark Haddon proves he can write good plays as well as good books.
Friday 9 April 2010 10.50am
Que?
Friday 9 April 2010 12.11pm
casey are you telling us that the dustcart men are involved in some form of nocturnal postmodernist theatre,where would I buy a ticket for this,I've been to Veolia and Southwarks website but couln't find a box office link anywhere.
Zoe
Friday 9 April 2010 7.28pm
Jan, you should get an answer in 15 working days, if you don't write again.

Once you get an answer, you can escalate to stage 2 and onwards if you aren't happy. However, perhaps you should write to the exec member for the environment, plus make a complaint to Veolia.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: