The Goldsmith

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
Tuesday 15 August 2017 6.21pm
food is amazing, the chef is http://www.khaliddahbi.com/about.html. didn't see him, but i could smell the food down the road. i had the chermoula hake and caramelised chicken and almond pastilla and a bottle of NZ Savignon Blanc, Mohua... staff seemed really nice too. really promising.
Tuesday 15 August 2017 7.23pm
Bit confused here. 6.42pm menu up, but no sign of being open. 40 mins later someone appears to have eaten the amazing food (two main courses it sounds like) and polished off a bottle of wine! Have I misunderstood / got the wrong end of the stick? (It wouldn't be the first time!!)
Tuesday 15 August 2017 7.38pm
That is quite odd!

Here is the menu in case anyone's interested. Interestingly it seems to only have soft drinks on it.

Do they still have a license? I imagine they must do if you had a bottle of wine. Strange no alcohol is listed though

https://imgur.com/a/Chvlo
Tuesday 15 August 2017 9.38pm
the cellar doors were open this lunch time (in pavement) and it looked like booze was being delivered.
Wednesday 16 August 2017 6.55am
mattp85 wrote:
That is quite odd!
Here is the menu in case anyone's interested. Interestingly it seems to only have soft drinks on it.

Do they still have a license? I imagine they must do if you had a bottle of wine. Strange no alcohol is listed though

https://imgur.com/a/Chvlo

Decidedly odd, as I walked in at exactly 6.30 last night and was welcomed as their very first customer. No one else came in for at least 15 mins. We left at about 8pm (didn't eat) and there were around three tables seated then. I fail to see how two people could have been served and finished in 30 mins - hmm! Although, to be fair, we were standing outside so can't be catagoric about that.

The menu sounds interesting but it was explained to me that they plan to change chefs every three months, which seems a very strange business model to me but what do I know!

They certainly have a licence for all things alcoholic. Lots and lots of staff and a rather intimidating and disinterested maitre d (manager/owner?) hovering. The chap behind the bar (in a pork pie hat) was somewhat ebullient, shall we say. Tagged himself as the finest mixologist on the planet (or that's what came across).

Oh, and 5 for a bottle of Budvar - blimey! It looks very much more restauranty than bar, as all tables were laid up and there wasn't really much space for just having a drink despite being told with an expansive wave of the arm that there was a "gathering" area.

All in all, I didn't come away with great impressions but I would like to go back and try the food.
Wednesday 16 August 2017 6.59am
Thanks for the review! Apart from 5 a bottle - did they have any beers on tap at all?
Wednesday 16 August 2017 7.12am
Sorry, Matt, I didn't notice. There was some beer talk between my companion and Mr Pork Pie. I wasn't really paying attention but gathered something wasm't quite ready. Maybe that was the draft ales as I am pretty sure that said companion would have had a pint rather than a bottle.
Wednesday 16 August 2017 8.27am
Last week there were people loitering outside the pub as I passed, and the word was they were having an invitation-only opening on Monday night. Maybe that's when the meals were served.

Doesn't sound like my sort of place from the prices, but then it would need to be something different from the average pub to survive there.
Wednesday 16 August 2017 9.24am
There was a time when an invitation only opening night would have been seen as an affront to the community.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: