Bermondsey school closed due to volcanic ash

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 19 April 2010 5.15pm
omg i can't believe what i am reading! how can this school closure possibly be justified?

Related news & features

Monday 19 April 2010 5.51pm
boroughpaul wrote:
how can this school closure possibly be justified?

Lack of staff to teach the kids?
Monday 19 April 2010 6.01pm
The London Nautical School is closing tomorrow for pupils in years 7, 8 and 9 for the same reason.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 19 April 2010 9.05pm
Cathedral School nursery class also closed all week, very frustrating if you're a working parent trying to get back to a normal schedule after almost three weeks school holiday and very expensive if you're a freelancer, no work, no pay.
Monday 19 April 2010 9.26pm
Yes, well if you were abroad you will know why this is not a bunch of teachers skiving ( I am not a teacher.)

I was in madrid last week, took avoiding action on Thursday and got back to the UK yesterday pm after 6 hours on a train, 10 hours on a coach, (it should have been a train but the French are on strike) and Eurostar.
Some are in New york, egypt etc. I was on business so cost was not much of an issue.

My daughter-in-law, a top class teacher in Lambeth, but not SE1, is also stranded in Madrid. She has made arrangements, with difficulty, to get back to the UK on Sunday. But that will come out of her pocket.
Tuesday 20 April 2010 12.11pm
BUT although there are less teachers, there are also a lot less kids so with a little re-organising I'm sure a better solution could be found.
Tuesday 20 April 2010 2.32pm
Just found out my surgeon is stuck in Canada, and she has a young family, I am supposed to have my op. next week! It's a situation duplicated throughout the u.k.
Tuesday 20 April 2010 6.03pm
It must be equally frustrating for the school to replace missing teachers, a negative attitude from parents is unhelpful when the whole situation is beyond the schools control, as far as mixing classes how would feel with your 3-4 year old being in a class of 10-11 year olds and then having class sizes exceeding government guide-lines and being in a class of 40 plus? SCHOOLS ARE PLACES OF LEARNING AND NOT A CHILD MINDING OPTION/ CONVENIENCE FOR WORKING MUMS! I am in the first instance a mother and secondly a teacher, I have every sympathy for my collegues that are stuck in foriegn lands.
Tuesday 20 April 2010 6.47pm
I do work in a school and we have 14 teachers absent and almost all pupils present. We can't double up classes as there would not be enough room. What we are doing, is covering for absent colleagues in our non-contact time and this has meant that we do not have to cancel school for any pupils. Schools will always put the pupils first if they possibly can.
Wednesday 21 April 2010 6.04am
unlike the one that shut!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: