Court Tavern history

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 22 April 2010 9.52am
Hi,

I'm interested in establishing some history about a pub on Renfrew Road in Kennington.

Does anybody know anything about this place, or perhaps know of a resource where I might find some information and/or photos of it?

Regards,
Bob
Monday 26 April 2010 10.17am
I recommend that you contact Southwark Local History Library, 211 Borough High Street, London SE1 1JA which is an excellent source of historical information about SE1 - and anywhere else in LB Southwark. Their email is local.history.library@southwark.gov.uk and the telephone is 020 7525 0232.
Monday 26 April 2010 12.17pm
"The Court Tavern, 42 Renfrew Rd SE11

Opened Ca 1875.

Shepherd Neame Master Brew and Invicia bittern on handpump.

Shep's only pub in Lambeth, was acquired in the late 1970's with big ambitions for a classy clientele and expensive food. Today most of the lunchtime patrons are bored solicitors and bulky WPC's. Bangers and chips are the most popular dish today. Piano in the evening.
NB. Renfrew Rd is sometimes closed when there is a high-security trial at the Court next door. There is a parallel path less than 100 metres down Kennington Lane"

From The Pubs of North Lambeth by Peter Walker (1989)

;-)
Tuesday 27 April 2010 10.13pm
The former court is now a Buddist Centre and the pub has been turned into apartments. Lambeth's local history department is at the Minet Library.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: