Barefoot London Marathon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 24 April 2010 4.48pm
Hi folks,

As I'm often to be found running around SE1 barefoot, I thought I'd mention that if any of you are spectating and see a barefoot guy running the marathon for Age UK, it's probably me, so any SE1 support would be awesomely appreciated :)

Saturday 24 April 2010 6.10pm
Good Luck, I will be watching some where near Tower Bridge.
Saturday 24 April 2010 9.33pm
Thanks! Hope it's a great day for it!
Sunday 25 April 2010 2.03pm
I saw bare feet!! Hope it was you.
Sunday 25 April 2010 3.01pm
I've seen you around and often wondered why? It must be much tougher on the body overall.

What was you time?
Monday 26 April 2010 6.56am
Pops - wow! I hope it was! I remember feeling like I was struggling by the time I got to Tower Bridge - the second half ended feeling a lot easier (which is obviously odd).

Tolstoy - it's actually much easier to run with good form barefoot. When you're not blocking the sensation of impact you tailor your style to run in a much more gentle way. It makes sense when you think about it - you don't learn to play the piano wearing earplugs... I've overcome knee pains, shin splints and plantar fasciitis of injuries from running barefoot, and I must admit I find it much more fun!
Monday 26 April 2010 4.50pm
I think you overtook me, Reece, tho I can't remember where - I did see a guy with dark curly hair running without shoes. Bloody well done - I know barefoot is well respected for avoiding injuries we now see through wearing too much cushioning I guess I'd feel vulnerable trying it on the mean streets of our fair city. Hope you're feeling in good shape today :-)
Monday 26 April 2010 6.36pm
Fantastic effort by all who ran yesterday, I'm so inspired that I've signed up for a short charity run (so short it's too embarrasing to mention here) and have no idea of what running shoes to look for - any ideas? I applaud you, both reece and lullylush for doing it at all, but in bare feet? that's v. brave and lullylush for finishing, whatever the time... amazing!
Monday 26 April 2010 10.22pm
Hey Mon2 everyone starts somewhere - I started by trying to run around a 1k lap in a little park. I'd run 250k, walk 250k etc and thought 'one day I'll be good enuff to do a whole lap'. Gotta start somewhere. For shoes go somewhere reputable - London Marathon store or runners need - and get a gait analysis so you buy the right shoes for you. There is a convincing argument that we generally wear too much cushioning but I don't know (maybe reece can help) what the guidance would be for someone talking up running. Peeps normally go barefoot/minimal shoes when they've done loads & got injured...
Enjoy the training but beware, the bug may get you ;-)
Tuesday 27 April 2010 7.27am
Hey lullylush - the description sounds like me but I certainly don't remember doing any overtaking! I'm feeling a bit sore now but my feet are the best bit - much better condition than when I ran it with shoes!

Mon2 - as lullylush says, everyone starts somewhere. You have the wonderful advantage of being able to do what feels natural rather than having learned a style based on modern running shoes. Two things that you might want to know before starting running:
All other factors taken into consideration (fitness, weight, experience, height etc), more expensive shoes equals more likely to be injured from running:

And there's no scientific evidence that running shoes reduce injury:

I'd recommend starting a bit at a time with very light, thin, flexible shoes like daps or those 10 boxing shoes you get at JD sports. Roger Bannister broke the 4-minute mile in a pair of leather slippers!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: