Woodworking Tools / Co-op Studio

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 27 April 2010 6.42pm
Hi All,

I am in the middle of a very small diy project and need to find a woodworking toolshop / co-op that might let me use their bandsaw / table saw for a few minutes - it would be a total of 5 cuts - so you can see why I don't want to fork out 250+ for a bench.

Does anyone know of a woodworking / chippy studio who I might be able to ask if I can come their place for 10 minutes? I am up by Southwark Bridge Road (North End). I was hoping perhaps one of the schools might have a woodworking room but my searches haven't brought me much luck - so I come cap in hand to you forum members as you seem to know the answer to everything!

Cheers for all your help!
Tuesday 27 April 2010 6.54pm
London South Bank Uni has a wood workshop. Don't know if public can use it though.
Failing that, would a drop saw/mitre saw do the job? If so you can bring your wood to the Dungeon and I'll cut it for you.
Tuesday 27 April 2010 9.40pm
I've often pondered the 'services' you offer at the Dungeon Beetroot, now its starting to sound a little scary.
Tuesday 27 April 2010 10.18pm
Whitten timber in Peckham could probably help as long as the wood does not have any nails or other metals. I use them all the time. just bring in your timber and ask if they'll cut it for you. Usually only costs about 60p - 80p per cut.
Tuesday 27 April 2010 11.15pm
I was at Whittens on Sunday, frantically buying dozens of 20" x 20" squares of 3mm ply for a project I'm involved in - I paid 80p per cut, but a chap with a worktop type piece, 50mm thick was charged 1.50 per cut. Try to go during quiet times, not on Sundays.
Tuesday 4 May 2010 9.50am
The problem is that they are not all straight cuts. Which is why I would love to know someone with a band saw - I think that is what they are called. I have to make one "Curved cut" (it is for the back rest on a chair). However the suggestion of both Whittens and your offer beetroot are well received.

Any other suggestions oh wise forum?

Tuesday 4 May 2010 9.52am
Is it too thick for a jigsaw?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: