Smoking outside London Bridge and surrounding streets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10
Wednesday 28 April 2010 9.14am
Right, had to get this off my chest (so to speak).

Every visit to the upper part of London Bridge (the level with the large glass doors, M&S, Burger King and so on) is characterised by a row of people between guys hospital and the entrance puffing away on their fags.

A lot of the time this is done right in front of the "strictly no smoking" signs!

What is wrong with these people? Anything to have one last drag on their grotty, smelly fags before getting on the train, getting off and having another fag of course?

The opposite happens in the mornings when commuters get off their train. Anyone walking down Tooley Street or St. Thomas's will know how windy those streets can be. Nethertheless, people take the walk to work as an opportunity to have yet another fag and this time, let the rushing wind blow the smoke in peoples faces behind them!

Absolutely filthy individuals. Can something be done? Hell, are any of those people reading this and might they take the message away?
Wednesday 28 April 2010 9.18am
From time to time the British Transport Police mounts an operation to fine smokers on the station forecourt:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3230

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 9.25am
Fair enough, but I just wish it was socially unacceptable, rather than just legally.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 10.29am
How much simpler if you could just shoot anyone who you didn't like.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 10.31am
With respect, Armpit Vale, you're entitled to your opinion on smokers. However, regardless of whatever signs may be affixed to the walls, the area to which you refer isn't an enclosed one (by which I mean it doesn't have a roof or sides to it) and as such the provisions of the Health Act 2006 (specifically those relating to smoke-free premises) do not apply. Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Notwithstanding my comments above though, what is your problem with smokers? I pay something like 4 on each packet of cigarettes I choose to smoke. When I'm not cycling, I walk down Tooley Street up to London Bridge with a cigarette in my hand. It is a free country and I will continue to do as I please. If I want to smoke, I will do so. In fact, having read your post, I will do so more regularly and exhale my smoke with increased vigour. YOU (rather than the smoker) could always make the conscious effort to move out of the way of smokers.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 10.59am
The smokers at London Bridge Station are are real pain...sure smoke away and kill yourselves for an addiction that everyone knows is bad for you however much you pay...its an irrelevancy...but make sure you don't let your foul fumes and ash get in the way those who are quite entitled to walk through the area without having to put up with it. Its just selfish and thoughtless...no-one is saying don't smoke...just don't smoke where other people who don't like it are. As ever the naive defensiveness of smokers will come to the fore no doubt (Gavin Smith)....but its just an ignorant group who have no idea how offensive it is and can't take it somewhere where only they have to "enjoy" it.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 11.20am
Firstly I am a non smoker, but my husband is. They are already not allowed to smoke in restaurants, bars, clubs, pubs etc. anymore. Offices are also clean (well there sometimes it would be nicer to have someone next with a cigarette then all the other odours of not washing or changing cloth..).
We expect of them to be tolerant, but we non-smokers are not, both of us should respect the other. If there is one in front of us, just wait 5 seconds and continue to walk. The polution of cars is worse then the one of cigarettes.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 11.29am
Urbanite, I have respect for your views but I find your comments full of ignorance. How can you assert that my comments were naive defensiveness? I am by no means naive; I am fully aware of the risks to my health (and to those passively inhaling my fumes) and in no way do I consider myself to be naive. WIth respect, I don't think the same could be said for you - your comments certainly show a degree of naivety. I guess if you had your way, smokers would be exiled! Why should I be bothered to move out of your way (in consideration of the fact that you don't like smokers); why shouldn't you move out of mine? The smoker's right to smoke is just as equal to yours not to do so.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 11.29am
Gavin Smith wrote:
I walk down Tooley Street up to London Bridge with a cigarette in my hand. It is a free country and I will continue to do as I please.

And you seriously have no problem with the amount of exhaled smoke that blows into peoples faces when people do this?

It's getting to the stage now where it would have less of an impact on peoples environments if as many people as those who smoke outside London Bridge were instead pissing on the doors and walls. At least you'd be able to breathe!
Wednesday 28 April 2010 11.45am
Armpit Vale wrote:
And you seriously have no problem with the amount of exhaled smoke that blows into peoples faces when people do this?

No, none at all! In fact, knowing that is annoys you will henceforth give me greater pleasure.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: