Smoking outside London Bridge and surrounding streets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Friday 30 April 2010 12.22am
janefs wrote:
dgeorgea wrote:

So even when we are/trying to be considerate we are a bunch of moaners?

On reading your post, in your case yes, IMO. Read my comment; I did not make a generalised observation. As your carefully explained caring and considerate attitude didn't appear to extend to finding a source of stubbis, here's one.

Re the issue (no pun intended) of dog mess, you are unfortunate in suffering from such unpleasant neighbours.

sorry for generalising your post which as you pointed out was specific to me, and thank you for the link.

In a forum read by many types of people, including shop owners, on a thread about smoking where disposing of cigerette ends has been raised I do not consider mentioning being prepared to pay for stubbis locally to be moaning. But your opinion is as valid.

Not everyone who smokes has access to the internet, not everyone who has access to the internet are prepared to buy online.

If suggesting ways to enable smokers, including myself, to be more responsible is moaning, well I don't have a problem with 'moaning'. After all the thread has been full of useful and practical suggestions.
Friday 30 April 2010 9.21am
so we empty the ashtrays at the end of the night to find the council bin contents spread far and wide and surprizingly fags butts strewn all about the next morning. ( i mean we even put then in a plastic bags, they cound have just taken the lot).

in fairness, i think my beef isnt with smokers , just with the increasing amount of vagrants we have around here now who make mess after the smokers.
Monday 3 May 2010 12.27pm
Southwark councillor Paul Kirikou

Try asking him about the place have tried before with this person to no avail
Enforcement of the law is what it takes
As i said it starts with the little things then we end up with a mess like the one we have were nothing ever changes except the place just gets dirtier and dirtier
Tuesday 4 May 2010 1.23pm
deek wrote:
scamp wrote:
Come on, smoking on the street means nothing more than a passing unpleasant smell - one amongst many in our densely populated city.

So...as a non-smoker myself, you'd have no objection to me pis*ing in your drinking water. Surely, nothing more than a passing unpleasant smell.

Thanks for the invite but I'm not that kinky. If you can't control your urinary urges there are plenty of nightclubs for people in to that type of thing, you'd be a big hit there.

In the meantime I'll warn the neighbours that there's an itinerant pis*ist on the loose and they'd best watch their drinks.

Also if your pis* smells it's not something you should draw attention to. I imagine you're not drinking enough water.
Thursday 6 May 2010 1.03pm
some people (who smoke) are very funny (not) sometimes.

In the late 80's, when smoking in the work office was being discussed as a possible ban, I was working in an open plan office.
There were thirty of us in this area and I had to sit on an oval table to do my paperwork, with ten others, nine of which chain smoked all day.

My clothes stank of smoke when I got home and I always felt ill.

On initial discussions with 'the team' and management about a no smoking in the office policy as the law was soon to be changed anyway, a few of the smokers went crazy and said that the two non smokers were getting personal and it wasn't fair.

when the law changed and they had no choice, they decided to use one big room in the building, for smoking.

all very well you say.

however, said nasty smoke filtered back into the main office again as there was only one door in and out.

when the law changed finally, relief was had, even the smokers agreed it was horrible being near the smoking room.

but, now we are a few years down the line, things haven't really changed. You cannot walk up nor down borough high street into or out of either london bridge station or borough tube, without being accosted by plumes of noxious smoke and idiots who stand in the way!

oh yes, it's the non-smokers getting personal istn;t it. Like hell! it has nothing to do with being a smoker or a non-smoker, it is a hugely selfish act by some smokers who do not have any respect for their fellow planet (dwellers).

the end.

I cannot wait until the democratic (in theory) next laws come out that force people to show more respect! to others.

'respecting' a smoker's choice to smoke my arse! stop smoking in my face or I'll set fire to your socks and see if you like it.
Thursday 6 May 2010 1.18pm
LOL.....this thread is funny...and as you say some people take it very very seriously.

I have read back over all the posts and no-one has said smokers shouldn't be allowed to smoke...just that they should do it with consideration and thought for those who do not and do it out of the way of the main flows of pedestrian traffic.

To this there has been gnashing of teeth from 1 individual in particular who thinks the world is on his case and responded by wanting to smoke evermore in everyone's face...and at the same time accusing me (in particular) of being threatened or paranoid about the subject.

Bloggie you are quite right that there is some massive insecurity issue which smokers manage to merge into simple requests for consideration and thoughtfulness...to non-smokers complete mystification...myself definatley included here.
Thursday 6 May 2010 2.10pm
Oh, urbanite, please get off your high horse and take a look at the way you have been coming up with all kinds of non-sequiturs and poor logic on this thread (a great shame, imho, as your other posts aren't in this vein at all), before you pretend to sum up the thread in a way which is no more than (yet) another dig at the one person who has sufficient perseverance to try to have a discussion with you.

Has it occurred to you that the volatile responses of you and the other "anti's" on this thread may be exactly what keeps mild-mannered, reasonable people from expressing their opinion?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 6 May 2010 2.59pm
Bloggie wrote:
oh yes, it's the non-smokers getting personal istn;t it. Like hell! it has nothing to do with being a smoker or a non-smoker, it is a hugely selfish act by some smokers who do not have any respect for their fellow planet (dwellers).

the end.

I cannot wait until the democratic (in theory) next laws come out that force people to show more respect! to others.

'respecting' a smoker's choice to smoke my arse! stop smoking in my face or I'll set fire to your socks and see if you like it.

Consideration for others and regard for the law is the key. Add a smidgen of live and let live and accept that try as we might we can't be considerate and perfect 100% of the time. Smokers and non-smokers both.

What I object to and will continue to mock in this thread is the hysterical posturing that a couple of posters have been indulging in. Pis*ing in people's drinks? Setting them on fire?

I'm sure that you posters who have been coming up with this vitriol wouldn't really pis* in someone's drink or set them on fire in real life, just for the sake of a social irritance.

Frankly, it's unnerving to see such rabid thought processes in action.
Thursday 6 May 2010 3.28pm
live and let live? I'll remember that when I see some person mug or attack another person, or someone hit another person with their car and drive off whilst leaving knocked over person bleeding on the ground.
my new mantra, 'live and let live'.

are you going to live and let live when I set fire to your pants then? :-) afterall, I am living and let living others who burn my innocent lungs as I'm just trying to walk and mind my own polite self outside.

it goes both ways my friend.
Thursday 6 May 2010 3.39pm
FFS - get some perspective man!

it's not that difficult, in London Bridge Station especially, to walk a few feet into the road, to stop yourself from walking through 'clouds of acrid filth'.

sheesh - the speed of traffic there is less than walking pace anyway, if you really think the risk to your health is that big.

If it's really bothering you as much as you say it is, why not politely mention it to each person smoking on the footpath, as you walk past?
I guess you'll get lots of indignant replies, and people telling you to mind your own business.

Is it really worth the extra stress though?

take a chill pill, a few deep breaths whilst still in the station then while holding your breath walk quickly on the other side of the road. Or alternatively find a different route?

Whatever you do - it's not worth stressing so much about, there are far worse things happening in the world.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network