Smoking outside London Bridge and surrounding streets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10
ADT
Wednesday 28 April 2010 1.02pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
With respect, Armpit Vale, you're entitled to your opinion on smokers. However, regardless of whatever signs may be affixed to the walls, the area to which you refer isn't an enclosed one (by which I mean it doesn't have a roof or sides to it) and as such the provisions of the Health Act 2006 (specifically those relating to smoke-free premises) do not apply. Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

You're wrong - read the article that James linked to above. It has a canopy and walls and is considered an enclosed space.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 1.23pm
No ADT, you're wrong. Read my post again.

Armpit Vale was referring to a stream
of people between the entrance to London Bridge and the upper bit of Guy's. The entrance to the station which, I concede is covered, may well be an enforceable area, but the uncovered part leading to the overhead bridge into Guy's (which was the area I was referring to) is definitely not an enforceable area. Such is my confidence that I may well go and smoke several cigarettes there and invite a BTP officer to try and fixed penalty me. Human rights work both ways and just as non-smokers are entitled to smoke-free environments, smokers too are entitled to smoke-full(!) areas.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 1.38pm
The enormous difference of course being that not smoking (the same as not pissing/farting/pooing on someone) doesn't have an impact on anyone else.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 2.09pm
The psychotic zeal of anti-smokers approaches terrifying these days. Come on, smoking on the street means nothing more than a passing unpleasant smell - one amongst many in our densely populated city. There are much more important things in the world to get worked up about.

My message to anti-smokers is please calm down and get some perspective. If you want to be completely in charge of your environment I suggest you go and find a small principality that needs a despot.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 2.16pm
Lol...bring on the angst

Naive because you don't think you should respect other people not to have to put up with your choice to smoke (I use the word choice rather than right here as its volunatry) but my choice not to have to breath your foul and dangerous stench, to have your ash flicked all over me because if I occupy the same space as you I cannot choose to avoid it.

That's why naive...and what does 4 have to do with anything at all.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 2.25pm
Well said, scamp!

And I speak as an ex-smoker.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 2.27pm
It's not about angst, Urbanite. You're obviously very irate about the subject matter. The points you raise in your post are reciprocal; just as you have a right to choose where you go, so do I, the smoker. Cars, vans, buses and trucks also pollute the air/environment; would you like to outlaw those too? (I can guess your reply!)

It is my human right to choose where I go and, within the confines of the law, I am at liberty to do so as I please. In those circumstances, I am entitled to go and smoke anywhere where the law doesn't outlaw it.

As for the 4, this figure represents the average amount of tax/VAT on a packet of 20 B&H.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 2.40pm
I am laughing to be honest...irony maybe lost here on you and maybe you you are a tad more irate than me

Yes you have the right to go anywhere as do I...the problem is smoking is not a personal pastime...it spreads and that's the issue

If you were to stand somewhere and self harm in some other way then that would be fine as long as I didn't have to feel any of the effects of that...with smoking you "share" some of the experience with anyone who happens to be in your area

Sure there's lots of other pollution and we all have ideas on that too I am certain but the issue is smoking...and lack of consideration for those around you...its a personal thing and all I want is not to have to be part of it whilst having the same right as you to be in any particular place at any particular time

I still don't get what 4 has to do with anything unless you are saying because you have paid 4 in tax you get special rights to pollute the atmosphere where others who may not smoke also have the right to walk through?
Wednesday 28 April 2010 3.08pm
And if I walked around with my head directly behind car exhaust pipes I'd understand the traffic analogy, but as I don't... *shrugs*
Wednesday 28 April 2010 3.15pm
your irony and indeed attempt at sarcasm in your last post is not lost on my Urbanite!

I don't have any special rights, Urbanite. My 'rights', just as any other human being's 'rights', are enshrined in the law. I was merely making the point that I contribute a great deal by way of taxation for the privilege of smoking.

In your post, you allude to smokers not having consideration for others. The same could be said for you too, Urbanite, as you're not really showing any consideration for your fellow human beings who make a choice to smoke are you? What they're doing isn't against the law and, as at today's date at least, it is not illegal for one to smoke in an unenclosed place.

This debate seems to have become somewhat cyclic and so whilst I will continue to follow it, I will not contribute unless it is to add something new!

In conclusion though, Urbanite, can I ask whether you are an ex-smoker?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network