Smoking outside London Bridge and surrounding streets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10
Wednesday 28 April 2010 3.24pm
Here goes!

The next person who blows smoke in my face or flicks ash on my clothes I'll throw some water in their face (less harmful than smoke).

Having anything blown in your face from a stranger is unhygienic and disgusting.

Waiting for all the insults from the big boys now.

Oh, by the way, I forgot I'm a smoker.

SMOKERS BE MORE CONSIDERATE!! EASY
Wednesday 28 April 2010 3.37pm
If and when some non-smoker asks me not to smoke in a place where I am permitted so to do, I shall exhale the largest amount I can and blow it all over them!
Wednesday 28 April 2010 3.42pm
So much for not contributing again GS lol

I can't see what my current or previous smoking status has to do with anything

My arguments have been about consideration for others and when you say I'm not I am very supportive of your right to smoke I am...just don't share your smoking with me...that's all...please refer back to my assertion that smokers always become sooo defensive over their rights...and especially if you've paid tax to do it of course lol

I pay tax and unfortunately pay quite a bit but come the day I need to make a claim it doesn't give me the right to be further up the queue than anyone else...naive arguments GS
Wednesday 28 April 2010 3.49pm
Armpit Vale wrote:
And if I walked around with my head directly behind car exhaust pipes I'd understand the traffic analogy, but as I don't... *shrugs*

By the way you talk it sounds like as soon as you step on to the street there's someone permanently puffing away within a couple of feet of you all the way to your destination. I suspect that's not really the case, you're just being childishly dramatic.

Really, you need to relax. You're not going to get cancer from passing a smoker in the street, it has no impact on your health. It's just the unpleasant smell really isn't it? Don't try to make it any more sinister than that. On that basis the vehicle pollution point is valid.

We all have our little bugbears when getting from A to B but you just have to get over them before you have an aneuryism - my personal one is conceited people who read books/newspapers/texting whilst walking and bumping in to people, or getting stuck behind slow walking readers/texters because they're too busy with the minutae of their tedious little lives (getting me started now) to pay attention to what's going on around them. But I try my best not to get annoyed, because I know it's a stupid minor thing to get upset about and I'd rather devote thought to happy, jolly progressive things.

I choose not to get angry about the irritating habits of others for the sake of my blood pressure, I suggest you do too. Don't forget, stress is the biggest killer. Don't let it put you in an early grave.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 3.55pm
smoking is the choice of the individual, and they have no choice but to smoke outside,
its the thought of the smoke going in their mouth down their throat into their lungs back up into their mouth than into my face and on my clothes, lovely
Wednesday 28 April 2010 3.56pm
Agree with your sentiments Scamp but actually outside London Bridge Satation there really are loads of smokers always there...and on the bit of pavement originally mentioned it really is very thin and you don't want to be walking on the road with the buses driving round so you have no choice to avoid them.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 4.00pm
scamp wrote:

By the way you talk it sounds like as soon as you step on to the street there's someone permanently puffing away within a couple of feet of you all the way to your destination. I suspect that's not really the case, you're just being childishly dramatic.

Walking east along St Thomas's street this happens every single day. Everyone knows how windy it is and this causes the smoke not to go "up" like it normally would but instead "backwards" - an undiluted cloud that goes straight into the face of the person behind, still warm from the breath of it's prior user. Pretty grim, to be honest. And the smoke-moat around LB station is just as bad due to sheer volume rather than anything else.

It's quite sad really, I've many friends who smoke and all they can think about on a night out is having the next fag. When you used to be able to smoke inside pubs and restaurants (before the law came into line with public opinion on smoking being socially unacceptable), when going to pick a table you could see them squirm and fidget if you'd dared to sit at a table with a "No Smoking" sign on it.

At times I wonder what, legalities aside, differs this from having an addiction to hard drugs. If something you say you enjoy can influence your behaviour and your impact on others so much, is it worth it?
Wednesday 28 April 2010 4.03pm
Oh and don't even get me started on the ubiquitousness of fag ends all over the pavement (again, outside LB station) - people in Britain have generally bought into the Keep Britain Tidy/Don't Drop Litter idea except for when it comes to their lovely fags...
Wednesday 28 April 2010 4.14pm
James Hatts wrote:
From time to time the British Transport Police mounts an operation to fine smokers on the station forecourt:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3230

Perhaps the BTP blitz should have been highly publicised in some way, (both before and after it had been effected.)
I would hazard a guess that the people who smoke in that area, sometimes leaning on the no smoking signs that are there, are either unaware of the BTP action, or more likely couldn't care less.
I suggest that they double the 50 fine, and then re-double it for repeat offenders.
For the record, aside from the marijuana that was obligatory for everyone who was young in the sixties, I have always been a non smoker.
Wednesday 28 April 2010 4.23pm
urbanite wrote:
Agree with your sentiments Scamp but actually outside London Bridge Satation there really are loads of smokers always there...and on the bit of pavement originally mentioned it really is very thin and you don't want to be walking on the road with the buses driving round so you have no choice to avoid them.

You're right, it is overcrowded there and it's not pleasant to walk past. It's one of the secondary problems caused by the smoking ban. But where else can they practically go to smoke? Now that smoking has been confined to small concentrated areas around London Bridge station naturally those concentrated areas are going to be more unpleasant for non-smokers to traverse.

London Bridge is a really busy station with hardly any outside space and a portion of the commuters who use it will be smokers. Faced with the prospect of an hour on an overcrowded smelly train is enough to make any smoker want a quick fag before they get on the train, so unfortunately there'll always be a need for somewhere on the station to smoke.

The problem at London Bridge is worse at the moment because of the space taken up with building the Shard, narrowing this unofficial smoking area further. Once that's built I hope there'll be more concourse space, especially if the bus station is opened up. More space to smoke, the smokers will dissapate accordingly and the smoke won't be as noticable or unpleasant for non-smokers.

I would say also that there's an element of the selfish commuter here too. Most people, who in any other situation considerate, friendly and courteous have the capacity to be utterly selfish a***holes when making the journey to and from work. Perhaps that's why this discussion has become so passionate!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network