Smoking outside London Bridge and surrounding streets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10
Armpit Vale Wednesday 28 April 2010 4.28pm
Faced with an hour onboard a smelly and uncrowded train, what are us non-smokers meant to do?
Gavin Smith Wednesday 28 April 2010 4.34pm
I'm not at all naive, Urbanite, and if you re-read my post I said I would only re-post on the subject if someone added something new. If anything, Urbanite, you're the one who seems to have a bee in his/her bonnet about this matter. I am merely adding reason to a debate which seems to be heavily weighed against smokers inasmuch as I seem to be one of the few smokers in this debate. The position you have adopted, Urbanite, is not at all representative (in my opinion at least) of the general public and it is for that reason that the law does not prohibit smoking everywhere.

I will now abstain from further posts on this subject as it seems to be coming increasingly contentious...
scamp Wednesday 28 April 2010 4.35pm
Armpit Vale wrote:

Walking east along St Thomas's street this happens every single day. Everyone knows how windy it is and this causes the smoke not to go "up" like it normally would but instead "backwards" - an undiluted cloud that goes straight into the face of the person behind, still warm from the breath of it's prior user.

What are you doing walking so close to people you can feel the warmth of their breath?
scamp Wednesday 28 April 2010 4.41pm
Armpit Vale wrote:
Faced with an hour onboard a smelly and uncrowded train, what are us non-smokers meant to do?

Whatever makes you happy I suppose. Quick pint perhaps or vigorous stroll round the block?
urbanite Wednesday 28 April 2010 5.03pm
Oh Gavin...you seem to have missed the whole nature of this debate on here.

If you read the blog virtually everyone hasn't been complaining about smoking but about smokers not being thoughtful and considerate and keeping their habit to themselves, which I understand is difficult given the nature of smoking.

You seem to think its about your right to smoke but in fact no-one has challenged that at all. I support your right to smoke.

Its not contentious unless you are feeling threatened by the logic of the arguments...but again no-one is challenging your rights...just your abilty to use those rights in a thoughtful way.

And I still don't see what the 4 is about?
Sidi Wednesday 28 April 2010 5.14pm
So I am still a non-smoker and followed this special discussion. Everyone was blaming everyone, but I have a question now to all of you.
What would be the solution to solve the problem? Where shall the smokers be allowed to smoke?
scamp Wednesday 28 April 2010 5.28pm
Sidi wrote:
So I am still a non-smoker and followed this special discussion. Everyone was blaming everyone, but I have a question now to all of you.
What would be the solution to solve the problem? Where shall the smokers be allowed to smoke?

Whereever the law allows, then a bit of tolerance from both parties.
Gavin Smith Wednesday 28 April 2010 5.30pm
I don't appreciate or like much your attempts to patronise me, Urbanite. THis debate has revolved around you and one/two others (the non-smokers) moaning like old women about people smoking too close to you. YOU seem to have missed the point.
jaycee Wednesday 28 April 2010 5.39pm
Shades of the cycling on pavements debate here!
I think I can refer back to Ivanhoe's msg earlier today to sum up the heat generated by this debate.
eightoone Wednesday 28 April 2010 7.40pm
I have tried with the stupid Police Wardens local politician
its all a complete waste of time
Just give them an area close to the high rise thats coming down problem sorted
But when will completely inconsiderate people inflicting their filthy habit on us
change to see our point of view.................
80 for every fag butt is the reality and remember it starts with the small things
Feet on seats on public transport etc
Lets force the wardens to sit there all day and do their job!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions