Richards butcher shop, Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 29 April 2010 12.36pm
Does anyone remember the Richards butcher shop at 62 Tower Bridge Road? (Or even better, does anyone have any old photos of the Richards butcher shop at 62 Tower Bridge Road?) My grandmother grew up at that address in the flat above the butcher shop, and several of her siblings worked for Mr Richards as far back as the 1930s/40s. If anyone can tell me (or show me - fingers crossed!) anything about Mr Richards, the shop, or knew the family who lived above it, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks so much.
Thursday 29 April 2010 6.16pm
On youtube there is a short film of tower bridge road and you may see a shot of the old richards shop, it was in the thirties. I think there a link to it on here?

just searched 12 th dec.2009..hope that helps ...
Friday 30 April 2010 6.46am
There used to be three butchers down tower bridge road in the fifties I think, Dockings, West,Not sure where Richards was..
Thursday 13 January 2011 3.37pm
I am tracing my family tree and I am distantly related to the Richards that had the butchers shop at 62 TBR. As I understand it several in the family worked as butchers and the Richards name was successful until the company was sold to one of the bigger chains (Dewhurst?).
I think the original owner was perhaps Joseph Richards who moved out into the suburbs when he got wealthy.
The singer Ann Shelton was also related to a Richards through her sister.
Friday 14 January 2011 8.23am
Hello Steve! It's excellent to hear from you. I'll send you a PM.
Steve
Saturday 15 January 2011 9.53pm
Joseph Richards was my Great Uncle, his two sons Leslie and Stanley worked in the business as did my three Uncles Charles, Lawrie and Frank Couture.
I myslef joined the firm after completing my National Service in 1955.

What is it you want to know.
Regards
Timothy Wing
In sunny South Australia
Sunday 16 January 2011 10.18am
Hello Tim

THanks so much for your post. I'll send you a PM as that's probably the easiest way to reply to you.

Steve
Monday 17 January 2011 5.25am
Hello Steven, Steve Paull did a fantastic job a few years ago in contacting all the Richards cousins and together we traced the ancestry of the family.

I dont know of any photographs of the shops but will endeavour to find out.

I worked in TBR in the 60s and there was one Richards shop,also a R.Gunner shop, one of the firms Joseph Richards had taken over and also a West shop.

I went back to England in 1983, I was born over the top of my grandfathers butches shop at 7, Old Kent Road which has long gone.

Will be in touch.
Regards
Tim
Monday 17 January 2011 8.47am
Hi Tim

Yes, Steve has been incredibly helpful and very kind. It would be great to find a photograph of the house or the shop front from back then - I imagine one might have been taken at some point, but what might have happened to it since then, if it exists at all, who knows... We do have a photograph of my great-uncle Jack at work (he worked for Mr Richards) which I believe was taken at 62 TBR, but I'm not certain about that as it's a close up and you can't really see much of where he is, so if you do manage to find a photograph of any kind from that era, both I and my Nan would be thrilled to see it. Thank you so much for looking.

The Old Kent Road has changed quite a bit over the years, hasn't it? I'm not sure that it's changed for the better, though. My grandparents had their wedding reception there at a pub with the wonderful name 'The World Turned Upside Down' - did you know that at all?

Thanks again, for your help, Tim - very much appreciated.

Steve
Tuesday 18 January 2011 4.31pm
"
The Old Kent Road has changed quite a bit over the years, hasn't it? I'm not sure that it's changed for the better, though. My grandparents had their wedding reception there at a pub with the wonderful name 'The World Turned Upside Down' - did you know that at all?"

Its currently closed with a sign above it selling flats.
Not sure if it's going to be a pub again but it does seem to be getting gutted
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: