Definitive list of local gyms?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 4.41pm
Hi all

Have been scouring the site for information on local gyms and am struggling to get a full list of fitness clubs in the area (though apparently a lot of people are looking for 'gym buddies'!)

If there is such a list please forgive me and point me in the right direction. Otherwise I'd really appreciate the advice... am looking for a place either in SE1 or heading into the City.

Somewhere I can run, swim, do some exhausting Swiss ball activity then crunch repeatedly while listening to MP3s. But not anywhere that would make me feel threatened by hordes of marauding, glistening, grunting weightlifters.

What do you recommend?

Tuesday 23 March 2004 4.49pm
There is a list in our Health & Leisure section:

But I fear that it is slightly out-of-date.

Any additions or corrections welcome.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 4.50pm
Hi Sapphie

If you go to Health and Leisure under Living at the left hand side, you can get to a list of gyms.

I was a member of Topnotch on St Thomas St until Dec-03, but ended up losing it with them because the place was filthy and they were incapable of opening on time. Am now a member of Cannons on Cousin Lane just under Cannon St station - it is more pricey, but they have a laned pool, a more relaxed pool, a spa, several gyms, including ladies only, loads of good classes and I have never had any problems with getting to equipment there and certainly don't feel intimidated there and i am the most unfit person in the world.

Depends where you want to go in SE1, but if you are interested in either place I have been, just email me!

Post edited (23 Mar 04 16:50)
Wednesday 24 March 2004 2.10am
There's a very good website that lists gyms throughout the uk by postcode or area. Its very comprehensive. Check it out.
Wednesday 24 March 2004 11.47am
Hi y'all !

Just moved here a couple of weeks ago and glad to have found a community forum like this.

Gyms..... mmme...... just opted for Fitness First. I know it's a bit cheap 'n' cheerful and certainly doen't have the excellent facilities that either Top Notch of Holmes Place can boast, but the branches are located everywhere [much like the ubiquitous Starbucks !!].

And let's face it, guys, when you're Marshmellow Boy [like me], you cannot be too choosey !!!!!!!!!

More later..........

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: