The Ring Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Chris Thursday 28 March 2002 6.52pm
Does anyone know what is happening to The Ring? It seems as if the builders are in: let's hope it's not going to become another plastic paradise.

Advertisement

juha Thursday 4 April 2002 1.55pm
Today the signs are being taken down... looks like they are gutting the whole interior. Don't they need planning permission for the changes, as I have not seen one applied for the building? Will the last connection to Surrey Chapel/later the Ring be lost on the site? Who owns the pub anyway?

Now all we need is the building above Southwark tube started and it will be a complete building site apart from the Nelson Square corner. Is this what they call regeneration? Not a nice place to live at the moment!
Chris Thursday 4 April 2002 4.43pm
Juha,totally agree with your analysis - we also have all the building works at Southwark College!

I have subsequently discovered that the Pub has been taken over by the boys who own The Windmill in The Cut.

Let's hope they keep some of character of the place - it would be lovely if the exterior signage could be given some TLC.
Des Tuesday 23 April 2002 4.59pm
Yeah its the guys from The Windmill and kings arms (Roupell St.) and judging from those two I think it is in safe hands. It looks like they are touching up the picture of the boxer on the outside so don't worry too much and they're using some of the regulars from the Windmill to carry out the work.

I agree about the amount of building work, although I think Union Street corner looks great at the moment with the big building gone.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions