Biagio @ Bankside licensing app - til 4am?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 23 May 2010 9.54pm
For those living in particular around Southwark Bridge Road, Sumner Street, Park St Estate, Southwark St, Sumner Buildings etc.

Biagio@bankside have applied to extend their licensing hours, and essentially it appears turn themselves into a nightclub. See
Details of the application

Objections may be lodged by "interested parties" (incl local residents) by THIS FRIDAY 28TH MAY to Southwark Council. licensing@southwark.gov.uk

If you wish to object, plse note that your objection has to be based on any or all of the four grounds allowed under the licensing legislation. i.e:
•The prevention of crime and disorder
•Ensuring public safety
•The prevention of nuisance
•The protection of children from harm

I live very near and I plan to object, in particular on the ground it is very likely to be a nuisance: noise (music), people coming and going, rubbish/broken glass, transport chaos (minicabs etc). In my view it would be a very unwelcome addition to what is essentially a residential area, and very quiet and peaceful at weekends. There is no need for such a venue. A saturation policy for Bankside has been discussed, and in my opinion this is precisely the sort of venture which such a policy should aim to prevent. In any case, the site has been unsuccessful as a restaurant - i can't see it would succeed as a nightclub.

Thanks for listening (reading)
Sunday 23 May 2010 10.46pm
4am does seem to be excessive, especially for an area that has quite a few residents.
My advice would be to look carefully at the grounds of protection of children from harm - licensing committees take this one much more seriously than the others.

Good luck.
Tuesday 25 May 2010 7.44am
I whole heartly agree with all the comments made by Devecs, and as a resident of Sumner Buildings I have already registered my objections, but have not had this acknowledged yet.
Thursday 27 May 2010 12.16pm
Bumping this thread up - the closing date for written (or emailed) objections is TOMORROW.

Please do consider any objections you may have to this premises, especially if you live in the vicinity of Southwark Bridge Road, Sumner Street, Park Street, Southwark Street etc.

Thanks
Thursday 27 May 2010 12.34pm
I can't comment on this application as I don't live nearby but I (along with other residents) did object to an application for extended opening hours elsewhere in SE1 several years ago.

We attended the licensing committee meeting and our concerns were listened to. The extended hours were not approved in full and numerous conditions were attached to the licence. Later when we thought one of the conditions was being breached we reported it to the Licensing department and they followed up very quickly.

So it definitely is worth objecting. In our case we found it helpful to attend the committee with a list of conditions we would like attached to the licence.

Apart from the above experience I have no connection with the Licensing Dept or Southwark Council !
Wednesday 7 July 2010 9.48am
I see this is being dealt with by the licensing sub-committee next Monday morning:

http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=3524

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 8 July 2010 3.16pm
Thanks James, I am an objector and will be attending on Monday, but you have prompted me to review the documentation and I will pass this to my neighbours.

SE1 Forum is a great source of information - thank you to all.
Friday 9 July 2010 8.58am
I wish all you objectors the best of luck, I really do. My experience with Southwark Licensing showed me that they are quite professional but seem to have their hands tied by legislation which seems to have been drafted by the booze industry and implemented by weak government under Blair. His government could not recognise the obvious truth that the more you make alcohol available the more will be consumed and the more that is consumed the more problems will arise. 24 hour licensing ,and thus drinking, makes life unpleasant and sometimes dangerous (agressive, nasty selfish drunks)for those who live near such premises whether they are pubs, clubs, restaurants or minisupermarkets. I live near Isabella Street which should be called Nightmare Street because of the noise at night until 1-2a.m.in the morning. Shrieking women, foul mouthed men and women,hysterical laughter, fights, vandalism (why is it so much fun for them to damage residents' property when they are drunk?).Wednesday night was unusual in that there seemed to be a party in the open air which went on to at least 3:30 am. It should not happen because none of the premises are so licensed but it did happen and complaining to the council will not stop it happening again, not issueing the license in the first place would. Then their customers wait for their minicab continuing with their raucous celebrations only to be ended by the ceremony of seeing who can slam the cab doors loudest.Object, object,and object loudly and attend in person and get as many as possible to attend. Numbers are important to demonstrate that it is not just Mr. Killjoy objecting but responsible rate payers.
Monday 12 July 2010 2.13pm
Update: my sources tell me that this application was refused this morning at the licensing sub-committee meeting, following a substantial number of objections from the local community and others. Good outcome as far as i'm concerned.
Wednesday 4 May 2011 12.44pm
Latest hearing is next week:
http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/mgAi.aspx?ID=17068#mgDocuments

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: