Wednesday 26 May 2010 10.17am
There is a recurring theme here. Check out the number of workmen working the length of Borough High street (I counted 5 at 9.15 this morning). I reported the same occurrence in the street I live on (Thrale Street
) earlier this year).
The council is either complicit with, or being screwed by, the various utilities carrying out work in SE1. The pattern is always;
1. Utility company (UC) sets a date for start of works.
2. UC sets an end date for the works which implies that they are digging a second Channel Tunnel.
3. UC hits the target start date by having an army of workers available. Turn thoroughfares into an impenetrable jungle of orange and white tat in one day flat
4. UC immediately reduce workforce to a skeleton crew.
5. UC has separate sets of workmen responsible for digging holes, utilising the holes that have been dug and filling in the holes.
6. UC ensures that the majority (around three is enough to form this) of the onsite workforce is of the hole-digging persuasion, thereby maximising the lifespan and number of holes, which is useful since they serve as smashing litter bins for the workforce
7. UC hit target end date. See point 2.