Bermondsey Street roadworks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 25 May 2010 10.41am
anyone have any idea when this latest round of roadworks are due to be finished?

there's getting on me t*ts now, went away on holiday and fully expected them to be done when I got back...three weeks later and they don't seem to have made any progress whatsoever!!!
Tuesday 25 May 2010 10.47am
They are a nightmare! Espeically near the Hide Bar, nearly fell down the hole yesterday as some bloke was to busy smoking to see anyone coming either way.
Wednesday 26 May 2010 10.17am
There is a recurring theme here. Check out the number of workmen working the length of Borough High street (I counted 5 at 9.15 this morning). I reported the same occurrence in the street I live on (Thrale Street) earlier this year).

The council is either complicit with, or being screwed by, the various utilities carrying out work in SE1. The pattern is always;

1. Utility company (UC) sets a date for start of works.
2. UC sets an end date for the works which implies that they are digging a second Channel Tunnel.
3. UC hits the target start date by having an army of workers available. Turn thoroughfares into an impenetrable jungle of orange and white tat in one day flat
4. UC immediately reduce workforce to a skeleton crew.
5. UC has separate sets of workmen responsible for digging holes, utilising the holes that have been dug and filling in the holes.
6. UC ensures that the majority (around three is enough to form this) of the onsite workforce is of the hole-digging persuasion, thereby maximising the lifespan and number of holes, which is useful since they serve as smashing litter bins for the workforce
7. UC hit target end date. See point 2.
Wednesday 26 May 2010 3.52pm
yeah it just seems like there is no accountability - just like with the Tube engineering work were.

Win the contract and then take as long as you like and charge as much as you like while you're at it.
Wednesday 26 May 2010 5.50pm
turt, i'm afraid i disagree. I received a notice saying the Bermondsey Street job was going to be 4 weeks in duration, and set out a specific start date. Crews arrived 2 weeks after the scheduled start date, and work must now be approaching the 3rd month.

Dogfu*kers the whole lot of them.
Friday 28 May 2010 2.22pm
Without being as explicit as deek, I think that it's not quite as organised as turtmcfly says. It's more a case of:
1. Utility Company tells Council that there is some work to be done
2. UC specifies impossible start date and implausible completion date
3. UC does what it wants to, when it wants to, regardless of inconvenience to residents
4. Council ignore the work in progress (or lack of), regardless of the irritation to residents caused by UC
5. UC clear off laughing, having saved their shareholders money because that's their only incentive.

It really would be great if councils charged contractors and UCs by the day or hour for blocking roads and pavements, but I don't think that they have that power, do they? If they do have it already then their general indifference is shocking! If they don't have it then it really is needed.

How much does the part closure of St Thomas St for the Shard cost us all in time and irritation? Yet TFL have not even re-timed the traffic lights on London Bridge/Tooley St, which is why there's always a hold-up on Tooley St.
Saturday 29 May 2010 7.58am
and I know I always seem to be on here moaning about it but on Bermondsey St they are currently blocking about 3 or 4 resident parking spaces which, given that there are only 20 or so on the entire street, isn't really on!
Saturday 29 May 2010 10.26pm
A couple of years ago, when Thames Water took 5 months over the predicted time they were meant to spend on the project, I rang Simon Hughes. Within 1 week they had cemented over the holes and buggered off.
I will ring him on Tuesday and see if he would help again. It really is ridiculous and, yes, Phraze it just makes a difficult situation even more of a pain in the backside.
Sunday 30 May 2010 8.43am
Possel wrote:

How much does the part closure of St Thomas St for the Shard cost us all in time and irritation? Yet TFL have not even re-timed the traffic lights on London Bridge/Tooley St, which is why there's always a hold-up on Tooley St.
Actually it's London Bridge/Duke Street Hill but I digress.
I don't like the situation any more than you do Possel, but if the lights were re-phased to allow traffic another 5 or 10 seconds to exit Duke Street Hill, presumably with the majority wanting to turn left as they would have done from St. Thomas's Street, that traffic would run into a solid wall of brake lights from the traffic waiting to turn into Southwark Street, and London Bridge southbound would be permanently at a standstill, eventually affecting Cannon Street, Gracechurch Street, King William Street, and Eastcheap. Presumably TFL feel that it is preferable to have a relatively unimportant Tooley Street snarled up than bigger arteries in The City. So I fear that we will just have to bite the bullet and pray for the day that St Thomas's Street re-opens.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: