Move Gas Meter

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
TAK
Tuesday 25 May 2010 11.45am
I'd like to move my existing gas meter inside my flat located in the kitchen by about 300mm only so it neatly fits within a high level cupboard.
However, the flexible pipe between the main shut-off valve to the meter isn't long enough to do this.

Can any Corgi registered gas fitter replace this part with a longer one or do I have to go through rather protracted procedures with gas companies or Transco?

What has worked for other people?

Thanks
Tuesday 25 May 2010 1.15pm
Hi TAK

You are getting into a world of hurt if you need the meter moving.

The ECV (emergency control valve), flexi pipe and meter are owned by the transporter of the gas (not who you buy it from). A Corgi man can only work on items after the meter - legally he cannot change the flexi pipe.

Call you supplier - but make sure you are sitting down when you get a quote.
Tuesday 25 May 2010 1.30pm
Spot on, Boss St Bloke. I wanted to move my gas meter about two feet and I was told that a rep from the gas company would inspect the job, it would then be anything up to twelve weeks before the work would be carried out and.....wait for it....it would cost between 600 and 1000. Now go and lie down, TAK. Have a nice cup of tea and ask yourself if it's worth it.
Tuesday 25 May 2010 4.16pm
TAK wrote:
Corgi registered gas fitter

Apologies if this is information you already know, but CORGI ceased to be the licensing body for gas fitters in April 2009.

You now need a Gas Safe Register(ed) fitter to do any gas work:

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about/the_gas_safe_register_scheme.aspx
Wednesday 26 May 2010 8.18am
HI TAK

I recently had it done - as Chalky said it cost me 800 to move mine less than a meter. I did it mainly as I could move it from inside the flat to outside but it was a whole world of trouble and took about 2 months to get done. Although I would do it again it, it took 3 days just to track down the company who would do it. EDF - send you to Trendco and back again ....
Wednesday 26 May 2010 9.46am
Beener wrote:
Trendco

I think you mean Transco. Which is now National Grid, following a merger.

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: